BC Boards

Therapy dog class - week 1

Tonight I started therapy dog classes with Missy. It's something that I've wanted to do for a while, but wasn't sure if she was up to it. So we'll see.

Tonight was mostly introduction and getting to know you. It was also crowded - small room, lots of people and dogs. Thankfully the group is getting split up into two next week. I tried to pick the quiet end of the room so Miss could get used to without having dogs in her face. But, of course the most hyper, bounciest dog in the room ended up next to us. Argh! She did wonderful considering everything. I should have moved though - it did stress her out a bit.

All in all, I was very pleased with my girl who paid attention and obeyed me in a new enviroment. She settled fairly well even with hyper-dog next to us, only growling at her once. And was even pretty happy to get petted by a perfect stranger who was going around in a wheelchair - of course the cheese she was giving out didn't hurt :rolleyes:

And one of the instructors said it was nice to see a working BC for a change - apparently she teaches dog obedience and gets the "why is my BC so hyper" question...

Congratulations Maralynn, to both you and Missy! That sounds like a worthwhile activity and I hope you (and Missy) enjoy it. You'll have to let us know how the class progresses.

Your instructor probably was reacting to BCs from obedience class -- our instructor used to roll his eyes because we had a very naughty BC in class with us and the owner said she "couldn't figure out what the dog's problem was". It was actually pretty obvious -- apartment dog, only kept indoors, taken to the park once or twice a week for 15 - 30 minutes (and she wondered why the poor dog was chewing the wooden cupboard doors in the kitchen apart). :rolleyes:

It was actually pretty obvious -- apartment dog, only kept indoors, taken to the park once or twice a week for 15 - 30 minutes (and she wondered why the poor dog was chewing the wooden cupboard doors in the kitchen apart).

Frodo (moms Rescued split face) must have been a Joy living in the city not only does he totally wreck your house if you leave him alone but, today He sat in my yard and barked and barked at what appeared to be nothing. Dal was lying next to him taking a rest and looking very annoyed.

I would love a therapy class. I hope you continue to have a great time.