BC Boards

Homesick?

Hi there

I live in New Zealand and take my BC on overnight hikes, obviously he loves the exercise but I have noticed he seems a little edgy when we don't go home for the night and we stay out somewhere. We usually stay at a hut (like a cabin) and he sleeps inside with the humans.

Is it possible that a dog would be homesick?

It's not something I'm really worried about, just curious if anyone else has noticed this.

Kerie

:rolleyes:

I don't know about homesick (I always think of that as a pining), but he just might not feel as comfortable or relaxed as at home. My Lhasa is terrible in hotel rooms, very bothered by people walking right outside our window or cars pulling in at 2 in the morning. When I was doing agility with him, he'd often grumble much of the night when we stayed in motels. I had to use earplugs to get any sleep.

I live in New Zealand and take my BC on overnight hikes, obviously he loves the exercise but I have noticed he seems a little edgy when we don't go home for the night and we stay out somewhere. We usually stay at a hut (like a cabin) and he sleeps inside with the humans.

I think it's quite normal, because the dog is staying in a new place with strange smells. Senneca is edgy and restless in motels, but is actually more relaxed when we are camping with a tent -- which presumably has more "home" smell.

My dog gets homesick when we're out walking in the park, and I stop to do some shopping or other business that keeps us away for more than a few hours. :rolleyes:

Honestly, when we approach our street from any direction, he gets happy and anxious and starts whining with joy to be home. He just loves his own bed, his own toys, his own routine.

So, yeah, I believe in homesickness in dogs. I've always assumed it's because they're such creatures of routines: knowing when it's naptime and dinnertime and walktime, and don't like thing shaken up too much. I'm rather like that msyelf.

Mary

My dog gets homesick when we're out walking in the park, and I stop to do some shopping or other business that keeps us away for more than a few hours. :rolleyes:

Honestly, when we approach our street from any direction, he gets happy and anxious and starts whining with joy to be home. He just loves his own bed, his own toys, his own routine.

So, yeah, I believe in homesickness in dogs. I've always assumed it's because they're such creatures of routines: knowing when it's naptime and dinnertime and walktime, and don't like thing shaken up too much. I'm rather like that msyelf.

Mary

Hi Mary

That is the feeling that I get as well; he's really happy as long as we are walking but as soon as we stop, he starts to look perturbed - like "When are we going home?" It must be stressful for a dog that has no routine.... poor things.

Kerie