BC Boards

How long....

How long should Robin wear his new head gear? He's being very good about it but I start teaching tomorrow (Monday) and I don't want to leave him alone in his crate with the cone on...the surgery was Friday? Everything looks okay -- still pretty red, though.

Liz

Some dogs never need cones after surgery. It is only to prevent licking/chewing at the incision. Some vets put a cone on every dog automatically. If he isn't bothering the incision, you can safely take it off. Try it right now and see what Robin does. If he ignores the incision, you can leave it off. If he fusses at it, leave it on when you are not at home, but take it off when you can supervise him. With both my own dogs, and with rescues, I have only had one that needed a cone after sterilization. It just depends.

Kathy Robbins

Yep, what Kathy said. If you take off the cone tonight and he doesn't bother it then I wouldn't worry about leaving it off. Teebo got neutered last Wednesday and hasn't bothered it at all. Not one lick or sniff even. But all dogs are different.

If he is still red in the next day or two I would take him back to the vet and have him checked incase he has an infection. Like I said above teebo was neutered on Wednesday and the redness went away by Saturday morning. But if he has been moving around a lot or happen to get a lick in it could keep it red longer without having an infection.

Thanks, all. Robin is definitely a licker and bothered the incision unless he's busy at something - like chasing the cat, which accounts for some of the redness. It's tough to keep an active guy down. He's actually not fussing over the cone at all, but he does look a bit ridiculous -- my little daisy! I've been rotating him in and out of the crate and in and out of the cone all day. I just checked the incision and its noticeably less red than even this morning. We're going to go play "Find it" -- a nice quiet game.

Brodie is so easy..he never bothered the incision at all. Didn't have to do a thing with him. He's a good little Bro Bro :rolleyes:. He's not chasing the cat either, just lounging in the recliner with "Dad".

Liz

If he's going to be home unsupervised , I would leave the cone on. Its not worth it if youcome home form teaching and find he pulled the stitches.

Ideally , he should wear the cone until the stitches come out. but if your home and supervising him , you can take it off and leave it off. But again , when your not watching him , put it back on.

Im sure it wont be too long before the stitches come out.

Better safe then sorry Liz..

If he's going to be home unsupervised , I would leave the cone on. Its not worth it if youcome home form teaching and find he pulled the stitches.

Ideally , he should wear the cone until the stitches come out. but if your home and supervising him , you can take it off and leave it off. But again , when your not watching him , put it back on.

Im sure it wont be too long before the stitches come out.

Better safe then sorry Liz..

Hi there, the stitches are all interior with surgical glue on the outside....I ended up not going in on Monday because of heavy rain and local flooding...and Ken will be home when I go for tonight's class. I just don't like to leave him alone with that cone on. He was good yesterday, not bothering the incision and its healing nicely.

Liz

Hi there, the stitches are all interior with surgical glue on the outside....I ended up not going in on Monday because of heavy rain and local flooding...and Ken will be home when I go for tonight's class. I just don't like to leave him alone with that cone on. He was good yesterday, not bothering the incision and its healing nicely.

Liz

We had alot of trouble with dogs being allergic to a certain kind of glue. Once we stopped using Dr Bob in Montrose we haven't had a single problem. We were never able to get to the bottom of what he used that made them red and itchy. It gets better. We do 100's a year and I can only think of a handful of infections and the dogs were done in another state first.

Im just afraid of infection. Too much or aggressive licking can cause the irritation that will make it itchy and then the cycle begins. And when he's home alone he will have a chance to check out the incision because there is nobody to tell him "leave it". I guess I just think worse case scenerio and ways to avoid it at all costs.. :rolleyes: