BC Boards

Vomiting !

IPSY

Well , my Happy New Year wishes for everybody fell shoort today. My young man Yogi vomited up his lunch , undigested.

Ok , well, maybe you ate too fast , it happens, no biggie. I cleaned it up and reassured my little boy that these things happen and you'll be ok...

Not 10 minutes after that , he vomited again ,and again , and yes you guessed , again. All bile , within about 5-10 minutes of each other. He would start to bubble and drool , then up came the bile. He looked wiped after the last vomit.

I took his temp , it was normal , checked his gums , capillary refill was normal . Hmmmm.

I really dont think he could have gotten into anything because I keep the dangerous things like cleaners , meds and the like locked up in cabinets. The only thing I did todday was put away xmas stuff , took down the tree , my hubby cut it up and took it outside . He might have eaten some pine needles , but the dogs have been around the tree for a while and no one was even remotely attracted tothem. Im thinking he couldve drank some of the tree stand water. Its the only thing I can think of. The dogs were outside in the snow today and didnt eat the snow , so Im really perplexed .

Well , that all said , I was VERY close to taking him to the ER , but in about half hour he was looking alot better and very alert . Wasnt looking to eat a treat though , which is understandable. He just started to follow me around like normal again.

Everybody has a dog that follows them everywhere , even the john. When Yogi didnt follow me , I almost passed out...

He would follow me with his eyes , but not body. That was really a bad sign .

But as we speak , he is downstairs in the kitchen waiting to eat dinner with the other dogs.

im not going to give him anything as of yet. I do have a couple of cans of I/D which I willbe giving him for a couple of days along with yogurt , just to give his system a chance to get back to normal. I do have some benebac left too.

He is drinking water which is a good sign , I will just have to keep a eye on his intake .

Has anybody ever had their dog drink water from their xmas tree stand and had any problems with vomiting ?

Thanks.

I haven't had any experience with my dogs drinking water from the tree stand; however, if he continues to vomit after eating without any temp, I'd be a little worried about obstruction. If he's obstructed, he could initially feel better after vomiting. I wouldn't wait for signs of pain -- one of my border collies was obstructed and never exhibited any signs of pain. . .

Kim

I agree , an obstruction is what we origionally thought. He seems fine now. A little tired from it all though.

If he doesnt keep breakfast down off we go the the ER. Even so , We will be visiting the vet anyway.

Thanks for posting kajarrel.

No problem.

My Grendel (rip) obstructed on a 1" piece of "nubby" latex toy that got wrapped with hair/wool in his stomach. I never expected this because he kept his toys in pristine condition. We caught it early, so there was little damage to his intestine, but I'm vigilent for early signs since.

I hope everything turns out OK.

Kim

Yogi seems to be fine today ( thank God) He kept breakfast down , which was i/d , very yucky looking but he scoffed it down ! tThe poor guy was famished. I am watching his poo just to se if he passes anything.

It was just a very scary time. I hate that to go or not to go to the vet moment, it just kills me. I have no problem taking him in , but he hasnt had a bad experience yet in the vets ( I guess because he's only been there 3 times ) he's thinks its a big party for him , LOL.. And since I worked at a ER , I have my reservations of rushing to one unless its critical.

You always run the risk of exposing your pet to a number of other ailments too.

Im glad I waited it out. But I was also ready to go if needed. I am watching him like a hawk today and he thinks its a game ! LOL...Funny though, I cant stop hugging him today :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Oh boy, I know that feeling all too well. Do you take them in and have it be nothing or wait and worry that maybe it's something serious and you'd never forgive yourself if you waited too long..Glad things are looking better!

Thank you ! Yes, Yogi seems to be back to his nutty , crazy , cute, under my feet , lovable boy self .

I will keep watch over him like a hawk for the next few days though. And Im keeping him on a bland diet with yogurt and benebac for a few days. I am tossing around the idea of taking him to the vet just for a blood panel , which will come back fine anyway , but you know how obstructions go , they can feel better for a while , then whammo . I know it sounds silly to take him to the vet now , but I would rather the vet then the ER anyday. In the vets I can stay with him , even for the xray . ( I know the vet and staff well) . Yogi would be fine with them , but I will be a basketcase ! :rolleyes:

And , since he isnt in any distress , it will be alot easier on him.

When this all happened , the vets were closing and I would have gotten sent to the ER anyway.

Tell me if im wrong here for taking him in now , or is it a good thing.