BC Boards

How do I teach my dog to fetch?

This seems like a pretty stupid question, even too me, lol. But I am at a loss here. I got my border collie pup, Echo, invisioning happy afternoons tossing a ball, stick, frisbee, whatever all over the property for her. But at six months old, while she has plenty of energy and loves racing around with me, throw objects are met with happy disinterest. I will stand here holding a stick, wave it around to get her attention. She stares excitedly like she is all about the game. Then I throw it, saying "go fetch, Echo, go get it" in an excited tone of voice, and she is still bright and happy staring at me -but her head never even turns to look at the stick. What am a doing wrong? Every other BC I have met has loved fetch, and I always assumed that it was pretty instinctual.

Be carefull what you wish for :D

I had the same issue with Grady. It's just a matter of understanding the concept. Dog's aren't borning knowing how to fetch (well most anyway) and some need to be taught to bring the ball back. I clicker trained Grady to bring the ball to me and use the word "Closer" when he doesn't get it right to me. I started out by handing him the ball and clicking when he dropped it at my feet. Then gradually worked up to farther away and finally tossing the ball very close and working up to far away. It only took a few times a day for a couple days for him to get it. Don't treat or throw it if he brings it back without YOU asking him to. Just say "good dog" and put the toy away. It will come back to bite you down the road. I know this first hand :rolleyes:

This seems like a pretty stupid question, even too me, lol. But I am at a loss here. I got my border collie pup, Echo, invisioning happy afternoons tossing a ball, stick, frisbee, whatever all over the property for her. But at six months old, while she has plenty of energy and loves racing around with me, throw objects are met with happy disinterest. I will stand here holding a stick, wave it around to get her attention. She stares excitedly like she is all about the game. Then I throw it, saying "go fetch, Echo, go get it" in an excited tone of voice, and she is still bright and happy staring at me -but her head never even turns to look at the stick. What am a doing wrong? Every other BC I have met has loved fetch, and I always assumed that it was pretty instinctual.

Hi Bryna,

My youngest border collie wasn't interested in playing fetch at all as a puppy. If I didn't have plans to do compitition obedience with him I probably wouldn't have worried about it. But since I need to have a fetch in the Open and Utility classes I needed him to want to fetch. I worked on building his drive to chase and catch a toy and to play tug. It took months and months and he now has a very nice fetch. It still isn't his mostest favoritest thing to do, but he does enjoy it. I'm sure Echo will be happily fetching toys before you know it (please be careful about playing fetch with sticks=).

Happy Fetching~

Janet