BC Boards

What about Frisbee?

I don't know if this is the right place for this, but...

I just started my dog on frisbee, and she took to it like a duck to water. We had our 2nd session today and she made 3 airborne catches and went up 6 feet for one and just missed it.

Is frisbee for dogs a problem in any way? I keep our sessions short, to avoid too much stress on her joints, (she's 15 mos old) but it seems like a great alternative to tennis ball fetching - which she love too. We do rambling walks as well. I try to do my best for my city dog.

Now I've had my interest piqued by the idea of testing her for herding ability. I don't want to go to an AKC herding instinct test, but what are my alternatives? I have an unregistered dog, and I live in the SF bay area, California. Anybody have an idea for me?

post-10533-1255132019_thumb.jpg

Frisbees+dogs = Lots of fun. Search You Tube for Frisbee dogs to see what you can do.

Try a search for sheepherding classes in your area. I know there are a couple in the Santa Rosa area.

Here is a link to the Golden Gate disc dog club http://www.discdogg.com/HTML/events.html

Should be lots of disc dog events in your area I would think.

At 15months your dogs growth plates could be closed but I would still be a bit cautious until she is at least 18 months. Injuries with disc dogs do happen (back injuries, and leg injuries).