BC Boards

foods for a dog after stomach issues

Carlasl

Maya had some diarrhea and vomiting last night and today. I did not feed her at all today and she seems to feel a lot better this evening (no vomiting/diarrhea for several hours now).

I was going to feed her something in the morning if the night went well, but wasn't sure what to start with.

I know brown rice and cooked chicken, I have heard canned pumpkin is also good, anything else?

You actually want to use white rice, not brown rice. I typically just feed one meal of white rice and pumpkin, maybe two meals and then start to mix their regular food in. If you want a protein you can use boiled chicken or boiled hamburger. You want to use boiled meat so that you can get rid of as much of the fat as possible.

Good luck,

Kathy

My guy just will not eat rice so I have found that oats cooked in a bit of watered down low-sodium chicken broth does the trick to make sure he gets some binding starch. Boiled chicken or hamburger mixed with the "meaty oats" is one of his favorite meals, I think, but he only gets it when he's not feeling well.

Thanks everyone, she is feeling much better, poops back to normal, I was trying really hard to slowly introduce her back to solids, but last night she snagged a 8oz tub of sour cream and downed the whole thing....ugh (DH left it out). She is back to being hell on wheels so that is good!