BC Boards

renting pasture for sheep

SoloRiver

I realize that this will vary widely (WIDELY) depending on where one is, but I am looking for a pasture to rent to keep some sheep. I have been asked about how much I would be willing to spend per head, and I have literally no idea. All I know is I would like to keep total costs around $100 per month for about five sheep, although I do not know if this is actually realistic.

I live in the Willamette Valley and there is generally pasture year round, or nearly year round, and especially now that the rainy season is starting up again. I would currently be satisfied with a pretty small field because I'm mostly interested in working with Jett and she's just been started so it isn't like I need to be able to do 1200 yard outruns right off the bat. I'd rather not have to do any fencing myself and would like to minimize the amount of supplemental feeding necessary.

Any advice on how I might begin to start figuring this out?

Thanks, Melanie

Melanie,

You would most likely be better off finding someone with sheep that you can rent. There are a lot of producers in your area who may have some replacement ewes they would be willing to have you work.

Pasture lease is the least of the issues for having sheep. All the livestock leases I have been involved with are priced by head. If you have a county extension they maybe able to give a per head figure.

Feeding them is only one part. You then have worming, hoof care, shots, minerals...........

Then you come to safety. I think that all of us who raise livstock this is a very big issue. Predators are every where and are a huge issue.

The "Working Stockdog" Forum and the "Sheep Producers" Forum may also be able to give you suggestions.

Good luck,

Suki

Hi Melanie,

I do not pay a nickel for any of the pasture I rent. However, I provide all fencing, make daily checks, and I am generally using parcels of land that are too small, steep, or bony to be of interest to the dairy farmers who make up the majority of agriculture in our area.

• 1 month later...
Hi Melanie,

I do not pay a nickel for any of the pasture I rent. However, I provide all fencing, make daily checks, and I am generally using parcels of land that are too small, steep, or bony to be of interest to the dairy farmers who make up the majority of agriculture in our area.

If you pay at all, the going rate is $.03 per head per day. We generally offer $.02 if they have access to water. It also depends on the time of year. We pay $.065 per ewe per day during the hot summer months, this is for our mountain allotment. The best thing to do is find out what the cattle people pay per cow, then devide that by 5 or 6 and offer to pay that. Don't get into a bidding war with cattle people you will lose. There are a lot of cattle people that have cows just so they can wear the boots and hat, not to make money on them.

Time for me to go put on my boots and hat.

Eric

www.harlowshillswestcoast.com

One more thing. Be careful when you buy sheep, you could end up with them.

The smartest thing I did, is buy a handful of sheep so I didn't have to pay someone else $35 per dog per day just to train my dogs. Sheep are a lot of work but it is sure better then living by someone else's terms.

Eric

www.harlowshillswestcoast.com