BC Boards

OMG, it's back to basics!

I'm not sure whether my new dog is potty trained, and it just occurred to me that it has been two years since I went through all of this with Liberty. I think I've forgotten a lot of it!

I've never rescued an adult dog before, so I'm a little unsure even how to begin.

I do have a few questions for those of you who have--she has had a litter, the pups I saw this morning were around 16 weeks old, and fully weened. How is she going to react to not being with them?

Is there anything i should be on the look out for?

She's been quiet since I got her, but extremely affectionate to me, my mother, and my friend, and been curious. She's been timid, but not frightened. She's given kisses, too! She doesn't startle too badly when the AC kicks on, or when my friend's husband rolled by on the riding lawn mower. She's not acted afraid of either of the other two dogs. She seems to be a very even tempered little girl, and is already partially answering to her new name.

I just realized that I am in for a lot of work (which I am up for) and am feeling a wee bit overwhelmed all of the sudden!

(I can't get my digital to hook up to the computer or I'd post her pix)

My mum rescued an ex breeding ACD Dani that had only ever known life in a puppy mill pumping out puppies. She dug some serious nests for imaginery puppies and startled at everything, like the TV etc and she flees everytime my mum coughs - some baggage from her past. She was also not house trained but it was amazing how quickly she learnt to use the dog door and there have only been a couple of problems, mainly if her routine is upset.

Over time she has coped very well and is an incredibly loving dog. My mum had spent time training and working with her and she is a dog that feels secure with a routine. My mum encouraged her but never forced her into situations she was uncomfortable in and she is slowly starting to blossom. She loves the grandchildren and has been a wonderful addition. She has some residual baggage but it is not an issue. My mum was firm when Dani started to try and exclude my mums other dog, she laid down some ground rules and Dani soon learnt the ropes. Good routine and firm groundrules, were inportant for Dani.

My mums rescue dog is the apple of her eye and although a bit overwhelming at the start it has been well worth the effort.

Good luck with , getting a puppy is also lots of hard work, thats dogs for you, but its all worth many times over.

We've still not had any accidents, but she appears extremely timid when it comes to 'potty'. If I move too fast she hunkers down like she thinks she's done something wrong.

Plus the poor little thing is in heat again--and Justice hasn't been altered. So poor little Freedom is currently wearing a diaper when not in her kennel. She's bleeding pretty noticeably, but Justice isn't going nuts...is there something I am missing?

Liberty is starting to want to play with her a bit, and Freedom seems receptive...but Liberty is still bullying her a bit, too.

She also doesn't eat much, which concerns me a bit, as she is underweight. (Her fur is a medium length, and you can't SEE her ribs until you get close, but she is definitely too skinny.)

We've still not had any accidents, but she appears extremely timid when it comes to 'potty'. If I move too fast she hunkers down like she thinks she's done something wrong.

Plus the poor little thing is in heat again--and Justice hasn't been altered. So poor little Freedom is currently wearing a diaper when not in her kennel. She's bleeding pretty noticeably, but Justice isn't going nuts...is there something I am missing?

Liberty is starting to want to play with her a bit, and Freedom seems receptive...but Liberty is still bullying her a bit, too.

She also doesn't eat much, which concerns me a bit, as she is underweight. (Her fur is a medium length, and you can't SEE her ribs until you get close, but she is definitely too skinny.)

When I brought my second rescue in, I was advised that it would take at least six months for life to settle back down -- I had a male and female, both neutered, though like your Freedom, Ladybug did come intact and almost immediately went into heat. We caught her just in time and had her at the vets lickity split. She'd made a few nests with her stuffy toys. She and Scotty eventually became great friends and I think she mourned his loss as much as I did. When the new pups came in May, she took to them very well...motherly in fact. She still washes their faces now and again even though they're six months old. They can eat her food but they can't play with her ball. Kinda cute, really.

Everything you're describing seems to be normal for a dog that's been through, well, hell. Being dumped at the pound, separation from the pups, though at 16 weeks, she might have been glad to be rid of them, being exposed to new dogs...especially other females because now a new ranking has to be established, which would be my biggest worry. Worry over ranking could be part of her nervous reaction to you;either that or she's been beaten at some point in her life, which wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. Ladybug shied away from everything and everybody for the first couple of weeks, heading toward Ken and his recliner when things got tough. Given time, a safe spot to retreat and quiet reassurance, she'll come out of her shell.

Liz

When did you get her? Time is a big factor. I thought Tobey settled in right away, but I was quite wrong. It's taken him 3 months to trust us and we're still working with him. Does she cower when you give the signal to go potty? If so I would try something different.

Tim

Vala - my own adult animal control center rescue - was easy to potty train for #2, but after almost five weeks, I'm still a bit worried about #1 in the house. There hasn't been an accident in about a week and a half, and her accidents , of which there have only been four or five, have all been - for the last couple - routine upset, or - earlier - acting out when we're paying attention to the cats (she can be kinda jealous).

I taught her by following three rules: (1) always crate her when not being supervised (although we're getting a little more relaxed about this now - used to be I crated her anytime we weren't in the room with her, but now if one of us is home and she's eliminated recently she can stay out and wander at will), (2) food and water on a schedule in the house, with potty breaks immediately afterward, and (3) every time she eliminates outside saying "good girl! use the restroom OUTSIDE!"

I know she knows what's expected of her and the vocabulary now because she responds when I ask her "outside? use the restroom?" if she has to go, by getting really excited like I can't believe you've read my mind and doing this prancy dance thing. If she doesn't have to go she kinda ignores me (dog equivalent of a shrug). But if she gets all prancy, she always goes immediately once we do get outside. The funny thing is she WANTS the praise for going, so if I send her out there alone she won't go! She waits for me to come out with her and watch so she can get the praise! Hilarious.

My dog is a goody two shoes. :rolleyes:

When I brought my second rescue in, I was advised that it would take at least six months for life to settle back down -- I had a male and female, both neutered, though like your Freedom, Ladybug did come intact and almost immediately went into heat. We caught her just in time and had her at the vets lickity split. She'd made a few nests with her stuffy toys. She and Scotty eventually became great friends and I think she mourned his loss as much as I did. When the new pups came in May, she took to them very well...motherly in fact. She still washes their faces now and again even though they're six months old. They can eat her food but they can't play with her ball. Kinda cute, really.

Everything you're describing seems to be normal for a dog that's been through, well, hell. Being dumped at the pound, separation from the pups, though at 16 weeks, she might have been glad to be rid of them, being exposed to new dogs...especially other females because now a new ranking has to be established, which would be my biggest worry. Worry over ranking could be part of her nervous reaction to you;either that or she's been beaten at some point in her life, which wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. Ladybug shied away from everything and everybody for the first couple of weeks, heading toward Ken and his recliner when things got tough. Given time, a safe spot to retreat and quiet reassurance, she'll come out of her shell.

Liz

I picked her up Saturday, and in that time we've had 2 #2 accidents, and have pottied maybe 2 dozen times outside for #1. (In fact, I don't think she's done #1 enough, and we are going to the vet at 7:30 in the morning!)

From what I can tell, she has been given some potty training, and she is kennel trained (we've not had a bit of trouble with kenneling. Her kennel is right next to Liberty's, which both seem to like :rolleyes: ).

She also is very leery about getting on the furniture, so I'm guessing she's been trained to stay off it.

She has gained a bit of weight since Saturday, which is a good thing, although she has the appetite of a bird. I'm going to go ahead and get her dewormed tomorrow, as well.

She's also starting to come out of her shell a bit, she's getting very playful with Liberty especially. She just sniffs around Justice, but doesn't really play with him (he's really out of the 'play' stage at nearly 8yo). I have a feeling when she comes out of her shell she's going to be a quick little demon, right now she's just a watchful little shadow.

She is warming up to my husband, as well. At first she was extremely leery of him, choosing to stay right at my side. I've not had her around any cats or children yet, I figure that will wait a few weeks until I get a handle on her personality.

Here's a few of her 'first' pics:

post-7080-1254444665_thumb.jpg

post-7080-1254444684_thumb.jpg

post-7080-1254444701_thumb.jpg

When did you get her? Time is a big factor. I thought Tobey settled in right away, but I was quite wrong. It's taken him 3 months to trust us and we're still working with him. Does she cower when you give the signal to go potty? If so I would try something different.

Tim

She never really 'cowered' when given a signal, it was just if we'd move too quickly around her....now, however, she seems more interested in sniffing the area, and listening to the Marching Band practice (we live near the high school), and running through the grass than going potty.

She will whimper and run to the back door, but once out there she doesn't do anything. I took her out at 10pm last night, 7:30 am this morning, ran home on lunch to take her out at 12:30, took her out at 6pm, then again at 8pm...she peed 1 time, and that was at 6pm. So I called the vet!

They said that with the bleeding (thought she was in heat again) and the not peeing, it could be a UTI. So tomorrow we are making the 45 minute drive to the vet I use before I go to work.

Vala - my own adult animal control center rescue - was easy to potty train for #2, but after almost five weeks, I'm still a bit worried about #1 in the house. There hasn't been an accident in about a week and a half, and her accidents , of which there have only been four or five, have all been - for the last couple - routine upset, or - earlier - acting out when we're paying attention to the cats (she can be kinda jealous).

I taught her by following three rules: (1) always crate her when not being supervised (although we're getting a little more relaxed about this now - used to be I crated her anytime we weren't in the room with her, but now if one of us is home and she's eliminated recently she can stay out and wander at will), (2) food and water on a schedule in the house, with potty breaks immediately afterward, and (3) every time she eliminates outside saying "good girl! use the restroom OUTSIDE!"

I know she knows what's expected of her and the vocabulary now because she responds when I ask her "outside? use the restroom?" if she has to go, by getting really excited like I can't believe you've read my mind and doing this prancy dance thing. If she doesn't have to go she kinda ignores me (dog equivalent of a shrug). But if she gets all prancy, she always goes immediately once we do get outside. The funny thing is she WANTS the praise for going, so if I send her out there alone she won't go! She waits for me to come out with her and watch so she can get the praise! Hilarious.

My dog is a goody two shoes. :rolleyes:

Aren't they funny little creatures? We learned early on that both Justice and Liberty will not go if the other one's outside, too. (Justice get's this absolutely hilarious wrinkled forehead thing going--he's a St. Bernard/Lab cross--that just shouts embarrassment--even if we open the door too early while he's outside on the tie-out!)

I follow those same rules when it comes to Liberty and Freedom (Justice doesn't need to be kenneled--he can't open the locked front door and walk out of the house like Liberty can!)--also taught Liberty to ring a bell by the door if she needed to go out. We've started that with Freedom, but she doesn't seem to even acknowledge the ringing. In fact, the only way she has peed outside has been because she has been kenneled, and can't stay out for a while unless she potties outside first.

Even when she's not kenneled we haven't had any accidents (unless you count the one where the husband took her out of the kennel before I got home on my lunch break and didn't stay outside with her quite long enough so that she pooped in the utility room :D ), so I'm about 90% certain she's had some potty training.

But I am getting very concerned over the lack of times she has peed. Or pooped. I can count on one hand the number of times she's pooped since I got her. She eats and she drinks, she just doesn't seem to have to go to the bathroom.

She doesn't seem to be ill, or feeling bad, she just doesn't want to potty!