BC Boards

Enticing a BC to overeat in order to help her gain weight

I get the dog really focused on the incipient yummies, and then they get:

plain treat

medicated treat

plain treat

plain treat

And usually they're so eager to make sure they get ALL the yummies, they bolt the medicated treat with little hesitation, swallow, and keep going.

This was really helpful in getting her to take her pills today. Thanks!

Glad the "treat express" worked for you.

Sorry to be slow responding. I had a friend visiting for a couple of days. Between her crew and mine, I had 8 quirky herding dogs of assorted breeds in my small house -- the resulting crate farm completely blocked access to my computer. (Not that I had time to ramble the internet while they were here, anyway. Good times!)

Lovely photos on the other (bath) thread! Now, keep that look in mind for 6-8 weeks from now -- that's about how long it will take her to go through a complete coat replacement cycle. If she looks this good now, think SHINE!, once the good nutrition, general health improvements, civilized living conditions, and all-around great care have had time to work their wonders from the inside out. :-)

Liz S in PA

Thin dogs do better on a regimen that will not overtax their malnourished systems. Feeding her an appropriate amount 3x a day--of puppy food, possibly?--would help her gain weight at a healthy rate. You do not want her to bloat, nor take on too much too soon before her system can adjust to it. Do not expect her to gain a lot real quick...be patient, give her food, and she'll do the rest.

When I have a sick dog that needs weight, I like to use a food supplement product called Seacure. It's hydrolysed white fish, expensive, but 100% digestable high quality protein that even some of the sickest of dogs can tolerate. It's also very tasty to them - nice and fishy, and only in my cancer dogs last weeks did they refuse it.

Putting weight on a sick dog is different than adding weight to a skinny but otherwise healthy one. With the sick dog you need to be super careful of the quality of the protein as to not stress the other organs, but keep the fat moderate rather than make them sicker with digestive upset or pancreatitis (as was already pointed out)

I would not go with a grain free kibble - I just haven't found that to be the best choice for sick dogs for a variety of reasons based on my results here. I would go limited to grain free with a home cooked diet. Boiled, drained chicken or beef mixed with cooked rice or oats is usually tolerable. Very small meals, several times a day, with a liquid multivitamin and Seacure added. Then if you feel kibble is the way you want to go the same small meals of a good quality medium grade kibble - again adding the supplements.

As for the pills I'd just dip them in butter, tip her head back, and put them down her throat. End of debate.