BC Boards

two sicks dogs

Thursday night, Kipp seemed a bit off and didn't want to eat his supper (very unusual for him) He had ran and played just fine earlier outside, so I didn't think too much about it. He ended up eating about half. And then later on in my room, it all came back up - oh joy! So I fasted him all day yesterday, he was a little off, but not bad and was drinking water so I didn't worry.

Then last night I wake up to the sound of a dog vomiting - Missy this time as I didn't feed Kipp that night. Ugh! I felt like a mom who had the flu bug going through the house.

I gave them both some beef ribs the other day, but they got sick at different times and it wasn't soon after eating the ribs, so I don't think they were the cause. I'm thinking they must have picked up a bug from somewhere. Missy was a bit off today, but nothing major. Kipp was back to his normal "supper? supper? you said supper? yes I'm starving" mode tonight.

I want to steam-clean my carpet really good in a couple days when I'm sure they're over this.

Oh BOY do I feel your pain. I got a new bag of food for Odin, same brand but new flavor. I don't know if this bag had gone off or what, because there was very little difference in the ingredients and the new bag did smell fishy. But Odin ate a mere two meals before he exploded sometime on Wednesday night, continuing through to Thursday night. On Wed. we didn't know what was happening, and so the poor guy went all over the house and was just mortified with himself. On thursday we took shifts staying up with him and letting him out every hour or so. Friday afternoon the a$$ faucet finally stopped and I was able to bathe him, which he actually didn't seem to mind for once.

He was so sick, but 36 hours fast followed by a bland homecooked diet and lots of sleep and he's a rocket again, but with normal poo, today. But I'm not sure my couch will ever be the same! (Mainly I don't want it to be - that couch should have died with Lobo!)

How is everyone doing now?

Dean and Speedy both seem to be better and I'm hoping it's completely done now.

So far so good with Maddie and Sammie, although my friend's two dogs ended up with whatever it is, too.

They seem to be doing fine today. Kipp had been pretty much back to normal, but then my brother fed him some beef fat scraps and that did not sit well with him. So I gave him some charcoal yesterday and a little rice for supper - worked perfectly. But this morning I found that the poor dog had ripped up one of the upper pads on his foreleg. I was wondering why he would tear off down the driveway after his ball, but would then trot back on the grass :D So I'll bring out the vet wrap for playtime - hope he doesn't mind if it's pink :rolleyes:

Odin's doing much better. He's back to being on the one kibble that has always been great for him and that I don't like because it has grains and citric acid. He even did fine with some tripe last night. I'll get him back on the normal-flavor Orijen eventually (he does great on that too when it isn't rotten or whatever), but I'm hoping the pet store I go to will take back the off bag without a receipt. Worth a try.

As an aside, is there any way to be sure that he had a food reaction and not giardia or something? The bad sickness presented after 2 meals of the bad food and went away with fasting/homecooked, and hasn't come back. He seems fine now. Could giardia be so short-lived?