BC Boards

Tobey and Izzy

Done a couple short sessions so far and they both love it. I think Izzy would build a house for a click hahaha. And Tobey was out barking at the fence like he does when the neighbors kids are on the swing and I came out, he didn't see me I gave him the watch me command he turned got a click and then came running to me and his focus was 100% on me even while the kids were on the swings and that's a huge distraction for him. I'm super excited!

Done a couple short sessions so far and they both love it. I think Izzy would build a house for a click hahaha. And Tobey was out barking at the fence like he does when the neighbors kids are on the swing and I came out, he didn't see me I gave him the watch me command he turned got a click and then came running to me and his focus was 100% on me even while the kids were on the swings and that's a huge distraction for him. I'm super excited!

That's great, what did you load it with, steak and hot dogs?!?! :rolleyes:

That's great, Izzysdad. I think it's a wonderful communication tool for training. I was sort of surprised to hear some of the anti-clicker rhetoric on another part of this board. I have used the clicker with all my dogs with great success. It's fun to see how operant they become. Just be sure your clicks are as accurate in timing as possible. Practice a lot (without dog) if it's new to you.

I love clicker training and have used it for a wide variety of training situations -- basic manners, problem behaviors, tricks and foundation work in agility and obedience. I think Kristine was the one who recommended Click to Calm by Emma Parsons. That is a great book for dealing with reactive or fearful dogs. I think it is also a great primer on how to clicker train.

Our 8-yr girl, Jo, was a rescue. She knew how to perform basic commands when we got her, so we never used the clicker with her.

We recently discovered that Jo is terrified of the clicker (among many, many other things). We have a new puppy, Jake, and Jo has observed me using the clicker to teach Jake to sit, etc. Jo sees that I tell Jake to sit, he sits, and then I click and treat. She doesn't want me to use that noisy, scary thing on her! It's gotten so bad that now if I tell Jo to sit, she runs away! :rolleyes: