BC Boards

Re-post Training May (HD)

More of May's development into a good farm dog during lambing season. Note that I'm still not using many commands but instead letting her figure things out mostly on her own, especially on her gathers.

At the end, I do some training on off balance flanks and introduce shedding. In retrospect, I probably should've spent more time on mechanical training with this particular dog. But as I said, I enjoy developing the natural that's bred into them so much, I have a hard time making myself do the drilling. My bad.

http://vimeo.com/5251388

Denise, I watched the three videos that were posted. They are really informative, and beautifully done. I particularly enjoyed your solution to May's crossover problem (11 months?). It looks like you helped her find the solution. Thank you for posting these, and I hope that you will continue to do so!

Karrin

Hi Karrin,

Thanks. I'm glad you're watching these since you started the group of threads that prompted me to repost them. There are actually five up so far (8, 10, 11, 14 and 18 months). I've been in and out all weekend but hope to post the last two (22 and 23 months) by tonight. If you go to the Forum Handler's Post you can see each individual thread for that update with an explanation and sometimes a few comments or discussion. You might enjoy the beginning ones even though they're not very long.

Hi Karrin,

Thanks. I'm glad you're watching these since you started the group of threads that prompted me to repost them. There are actually five up so far (8, 10, 11, 14 and 18 months). I've been in and out all weekend but hope to post the last two (22 and 23 months) by tonight. If you go to the Forum Handler's Post you can see each individual thread for that update with an explanation and sometimes a few comments or discussion. You might enjoy the beginning ones even though they're not very long.

Oh, I see now that there is a scroller on the side of the video menu! And I am happy that you re-posted. I hope that more people will take advantage of your knowledge.

Thanks again,

Karrin

Oh, I see now that there is a scroller on the side of the video menu! And I am happy that you re-posted. I hope that more people will take advantage of your knowledge.

Thanks again,

Karrin

I would like to note that some of the information I'm sharing in the individual threads of the reposts are things I feel I did wrong. I have a different perspective now, seeing these again, taking into account what I know about May at 2.5 years old.

Thanks so much for re-posting these, Denise! I enjoy them so much. I get plenty from the training discussions around here, but I love being able to see a dog in action and have your commentary to explain what is going on and why.

Our internet got so goofy yesterday I couldn't download any videos - I was so sad! I'm downloading this now - got all my chores and school done and now I get to watch these through again. :rolleyes:

ETA: I also got my copy of Top Trainers Talk this weekend. What a fantastic companion to this series - it's amazing how consistent early training is, in spite of differences. Particularly trainers who are very work-oriented - using large flocks and "the work" to start and bring along a youngster. It's been fun to read about general principles and then see specifics in action with Denise's videos.

Thanks so much for posting these!