BC Boards

Water Dispensers

I have a 16 week old BC pup who just loves water. Whenever the water dish is down, she sticks both feet in it and splashes the water everywhere. Size of dish does not matter. She has been doing this since age 7 weeks and I thought it would stop on its own. Although this may look cute, it creates quite a problem. Keeping water in her crate or ex-pen is impossible. It is splashed out in seconds. I've tried various bowl attachments to her crate, but she seems to still splash all the water out. Putting her in her outside pen is also difficult for the same reason. For now, she stays in her crate for short periods and gets her water where I can supervise her. This really ties me down a lot since I can't be gone that long. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution or will the pup outgrow this stage?

Thanks,

--Linda

Have you tried one of those lick bottle types? I don't know the correct name, but it's what you use in a rabbit cage. I've seen several people use them for the same reason you have.

Here is one from Petco that doesn't get good reviews, but it's an idea- http://www.petco.com/product/6140/Lixit-Do...er-Bottles.aspx

I just looked online for those, it is a Lixit and the reviews were not good. It says that they leak constantly and the dog can barely get enough water, just a few little licks which I guess would be better than nothing, but the constant leaking may be a problem. I could buy just a small bottle and see if that would work. She is also at the everything is a toy stage and I am also concerned that she will try to make it into a tug toy. I am just hoping that she outgrows this. I have two adult Border Collies who I got as adult rescues and they did not have this problem. I've also had 2 BC puppies in the past and no problem with them either. She is the first one who can't keep water in her crate. She is surviving just fine getting water when I let her out, but it would sure be nice if I could have a little more freedom!

--Linda

Have you tried one of those lick bottle types? I don't know the correct name, but it's what you use in a rabbit cage. I've seen several people use them for the same reason you have.

Here is one from Petco that doesn't get good reviews, but it's an idea- http://www.petco.com/product/6140/Lixit-Do...er-Bottles.aspx

Thanks for the idea! I will freeze some water in her bowl now and see what she does.

--Linda

Try freezing the water in the bowl. That way, as it thaws, she will get water but at a slower rate and she can't splash it out.

Olivia

Is it a stainless steel bowl? Just wondering because for a while Scooter was doing that and we figured out that he could see himself reflected in the bowl, probably thinking it was another dog. :rolleyes:

What about a small bucket hung inside the crate? I've got a couple of small stainless steel buckets that have a hook on the side for hanging them up, plus they have a handle so I also put a clip on that (to make sure that the bucket doesn't get lifted and unhooked). If it's mounted high enough they can drink but not easily get feet in. I've also used a rabbit bottle, mounted on the outside of the crate with just the stainless steel spout sticking through. Worked great for most pups but I had one that was able to pull the spout right out of the neck of the bottle and then it leaked.