BC Boards

Stinky Cindy

We're new to the forum and have a problem that someone may be able to help us with. Cindy is mostly Border Collie. She was abandoned as a puppy so we're not sure.

She loves to swim but has a problem with stinking up the house after. She has a very thick undercoat that won't brush out very well so it takes her a while to dry. In the last couple years she's taken on a very distinct odor that is like ripe socks. The vet hasn't been able to find anything wrong that would indicate a fungus or infection of any kind. She's very healthy for a 10 year old dog.

Is there any way to get rid of the odor? Normal baths don't help. I think she likes being dirty anyway.

We're new to the forum and have a problem that someone may be able to help us with. Cindy is mostly Border Collie. She was abandoned as a puppy so we're not sure.

She loves to swim but has a problem with stinking up the house after. She has a very thick undercoat that won't brush out very well so it takes her a while to dry. In the last couple years she's taken on a very distinct odor that is like ripe socks. The vet hasn't been able to find anything wrong that would indicate a fungus or infection of any kind. She's very healthy for a 10 year old dog.

Is there any way to get rid of the odor? Normal baths don't help. I think she likes being dirty anyway.

I have 4 dogs who love to swim in our pond. The pond is stream fed and has all the elements of a stream ecosystem including algae. The pond is full of plant growth and when the dogs come out (and after they dry) they smell like stinky socks! This is the same across all 4 of the dogs (including the puppy), so it isn't just the mixture of the doggy smell and the pond water -- it's the pond water! Also, it goes away in the winter when the pond is frozen. If your swimming water has alot of algae I would try to find another swimming hole with less growth in it. Yes I know, baths don't help, but maybe a hose down with your garden hose after she comes out would tone it down a bit. Best of luck!

Normal baths don't help. I think she likes being dirty anyway.

You are so right, I guess they hate smelling good! :D I have bathed Francisca maybe 3 or 4 times with shampoo..etc and her first move after taking a shower is look for a piece of dog, cow, horse dung and "put it on" as the finest Eau de Toilette.. :rolleyes:

My Francisca swims quite often, usually at places where water is full of algae and its odors. We always hose her or bathe her with clean water, just water, to remove the dirt she brings from her swimming. It works just perfect! when we visit my mom, she always says that Francisca doesn't smell at all..not like ripe socks, not like algae, not like dog.

I hope you can manage it, they love water. I have also heard of some pills that are made out of Chlorophyll and help control dogs' odors. I have never used them, but they might help.

Good luck!

Try a product called miracle groom, bath in a bottle, 5 in on1 formula by absorbine. It is a horse and pet product. It helps get the dirty laundry smell out of my dogs. Just spray it on and brush. There are directions for spot removal, etc. My friend uses it on white dogs. It deodorizes nicely without a perfume smell.

What I notice is that after they dry they don't stink. The musty wet oder goes away pretty quick. I guess if they had thicker coats we'd be worse off. I don't wash the dogs, can't remember the last time I did with shampoo, maybe last November but not sure. It always amazes me that after they dry or get up from a nap that they're clean again. The spot where they were laying is always full of dirt but that's a quick sweep.