BC Boards

How to Teach Your Dog His Name - part 2

I tried to reply to the original post but couldn't since it was moved. Anyway, here's my 2 cents on this.

I do use my dogs? names in a non positive way both on sheep and in everyday living. This applies to both my border collies and my springer. It's the tone of voice that conveys the displeasure to the dog and most times that's enough of a negative. But, if the dog doesn't respond properly, then a more perhaps physical negative follows. That's true in herding and in everyday life. (Boy, I sound tough, don't I? NOT! ).

In the pet classes I teach, early in the session I do tell the students to only use their dog?s names in a positive way. I do this because many pet people ONLY use their dog's name in a negative context and inadvertently teach the dog to ignore, avoid, and hate their names. Many students don't realize they may have done this and this lecture gets them thinking. Hopefully a few weeks of saying the name in a positive manner overcomes the earlier negative association. Later in the session we talk about how to fairly discipline the dog and how to use the dog's name in that context.

I think in life as in herding the dog's name can be used in the same manner. Julie, Rebecca, & Eileen explain well the range of uses the dog's name has on the field. I think it?s not that much different in the home. In agility, I'd say my dog's name sharply to call her off the wrong obstacle or to have her come towards me quicker, using it more as an attention getter - other than that I don't think I ever used her name in the agility ring. In a multi-dog household using their names in this manner does let the others know they?re off the hook. :rolleyes:

Deb, the thread is now in the FAQ forum. You could add this post to it there, and I'd encourage that, so everything will be all together.

Your comment about some pet owners using the dog's name only in a negative sense, without realizing they're doing that, makes perfect sense and explains why this would be good advice for them.

No, moderator error. :rolleyes: I thought I had set it up so replies could still be posted there.

Okay, I think the easiest thing would be for me to move it back here for a while, and send it back to FAQs after everyone's had a chance to post their thoughts. I've now done that.

Eileen - I have to admit that Deb's post above and your comment on it really made an impression on me, and helped to explain why (in our classes) we only teach positive use of a dog's name. When I think about it (and this applies to children too often, as well), we don't use names unless we are stopping something, scolding, etc.

I have found at a recent clinic with Jack Knox, just how helpful the use of the dog's name can be. I find it amazing as I endeavor to apply that at home when working my dog on my stock.

Julie mentioned how using her dog's name sharply could prevent an unwanted movement (like diving) from happening. I find, with my dog, that using his name more soothingly may have the same result (if I use his name sharply, it may have the opposite effect of setting off the unwanted movement). That may well be because I tend to often increase anxiety in my dog by "communicating" my tension and anxiety.

So, it's not always the same for everybody and their dog, and the use of the name and the tone of the voice need to be "tailored" for the handler, dog, and situation, perhaps?

So, it's not always the same for everybody and their dog, and the use of the name and the tone of the voice need to be "tailored" for the handler, dog, and situation, perhaps?
I would agree with this. Also, there is a big difference between using your dog's name in a negative way when giving a correction that the dog can understand and using it negatively just because you're ticked off or something.

If I were in the process of teaching my dog his name, I would not use it in a negative tone during that time period, but once the dog knows the name and responds to it when it is used positively, I would also use it when giving a correction.