BC Boards

Oooops! (Dog Grows Chubby Under Owner's Nose!)

mbc1963

So, last fall I switched to Taste of the Wild Grain Free - bison formula. Gave up Canidae, since Buddy was having scratching issues and I thought it might be a food allergy.

A couple months ago, Buddy went to the vet and I noted that he weighed 43 (his high end weight) rather than the 41 or so he'd been weighing for the last year or so. A couple weeks ago, a dog-lover friend noted that his waist had grown "pudgy." Then I drove him by to get his next dose of heartworm medicine this past Thursday, and he weighed in at 45 - the highest his weight has ever been!

I had fed a scant cup of Canidae twice a day. The Taste of the Wild, I fed a bit less. Apparently, I need to feed less of less.

Maybe we'll both do Weight Watchers this summer.

Does a "middle-age spread" set in on dogs? I reckon Buddy will be 6 at the end of this year.

Mary

That's so funny, Mary -- nearly the exact same thing happened here with 2 of my gang. We switched to Evo which is high protein...but didn't really cut down on the intake part or increase the activity part. :rolleyes:

I thought they were looking a little pudgy, but when we visited my parents for Easter last weekend, Dad remarked, "Those dogs have gained 15 lbs!" Whoops. Guess it's smaller portions for us and longer walkies! *typing as I look at the empty bag of mini doughnuts on my desk from this morning's breakfast*

:D

We had a similar realization with our middle aged Toller. We were feeding Canidae, then switched to Chicken Soup. After somewhere between 6-9 months, we noticed she was looking a bit thicker (tougher to tell with retriever breeds as they already have a "broader" appearance than BCs. Well, sure enough, our little 6.5yr old gal had gained about 6lbs or so. We've lessened the amount, but boy that gain was quite a shock. I wonder if dogs do indeed stumble into a mid-life metabolism crawl.

I had 2 dogs that were obviously allergic, and had one tested by a friend who can do this with people using samples and observing the pulse. My dog was allergic to corn, canola, coconut, grass, dustmites. Ha. I started her and her sister on Taste Of The Wild Wetlands - the others have canola oil. Both of these dogs have gained weight, and were underweight before the change away from their problems. I think some foods give the dogs more nutrients they can use peoperly.

Well, in a way it's a blessing. The TOTW is a good 1/3 more in cost than the Canidae.... but if I have to feed 1/3 less, then it ends up being about the same price. I agree with the theory that some foods give dogs volume they can't utilize.

I also know the feeling of being disappointed in my dog's 2-lb. weight gain, while I eat a donut. Buddy and I both need to intake fewer calories. :rolleyes:

Mary