BC Boards

Will your dog work for a different handler?

Is there Longton's Tweed in Solo? That's the only connection I can think of - Cord is a great grandson through Burtersett Lad.

Solo reminded me a LOT of Ben. It was like Ben without the baggage (I mean on sheep) so it was really fun - Solo probably sensed that.

To flip the topic around, for some reason I do much, much better working dogs that are Not Mine. I get really hung up on my own dogs when problems come up, and space out into spectator mode when things are going well.

We are very new to herding, but from what I've seen so far Lucia will only work for me. This sucks because being a newbie, it would be great to see the trainer with her. She does come out with me sometimes, but this annoys Lucia and she shuts down or gets confused. On the agility side of things, as long as the person is holding some kind of smelly treat she'll jump over anything :rolleyes:

I'm not sure about Grady yet. The trainer has messed around with him a bit, but he's so young, he seems a bit confused by me standing off to the side. He's not sure what's better yet, Mom or the sheep.

One of my first dogs, Moss was a one person dog. I got him as a fully trained dog from my instructor. When I would come over for a lesson, Mary could not be anywhere in sight for him to work for me. We literally had our lessons with two way radios. Mary would watch what we were doing from inside her house. Eventually, he transferred over. We always did have a bit of a problem if Mary was holding sheep for him on an outrun though.

Renee