BC Boards

Jackson 2million Sheep not a chance!

Well, we had another training day yesterday. Jackson is so awesome! We went to the BIG pen. The only thing bigger is the pasture! He was attentive as soon as we got in the pen. He knew what was coming and was excited! Carol Anne let the sheep (4 this time!) in and while she took her dog Cat to put up I was alone in the pen with sheep and Jackson. The sheep ran to the other end of pen. I don't know why, put I started walking towards the sheep with Jackson (on long line) and he started "stalking". So, as we walked, I said, I said, "walk up". Then I gave the lie down command and he did without taking eyes off sheep! We did it twice while Carol Anne was gone. Then I showed her when she came back cuz I didn't know if that was too soon or whatever. She said great! So she worked Jackson first. She used Come By and Away commands, lie downs, and she had him walk up! Then I got in with him to see how he would do totally confused! LOL Yeah, I got reprimmanded by the teacher! So, I settled down, got the directions right and we had a great "run"! I was able to finally get Jackson to "walk" the sheep the whole length of the pen! We had a bit of problem at first cuz he has a great amount of control at first but then he is like, forget this, lets go faster! When he would break his walk, we would make him lie down, then he wasn't sure if he was suppose to keep walking. But he finally got the picture! When we got to the barn (its side is part of pen) he stopped and looked at me. I was like what? Then Carol Anne, almost laughing, said, he don't know you plan to get them through the barn wall! I hadn't realized how close we were! Smart boy! We had a great time! She said if he keeps up like this, and if I learn anything, we can do a pre-novice trial this year! In fact, she said, SHE could run him in one NOW! What a difference from two lessons ago, when I thought he would NEVER be able to work sheep! Well, I know this is long, but I am just bursting! I can't wait till next week! What a great dog! Did I mention he is awesome?

That sounds so great !

I imagine I'd be the one doing all the mistakes and blunders too , while Tamyr gets everything right first time !

I wish there was more space here in little Belgium , I'm not sure there are even big enough pastures left to work sheep :-(

Lucky you , and good luck !

That must be an awesome feeling !!!! We are hoping to start Kassie in herding lessons this spring, but it will involve a 3 hr. trip to Missouri. :rolleyes: You make it sound like it will be totally worth it.

Keep up the good work Jackson....Mom will learn eventually. :D

That is a thrill isn't it! That moment when it all comes together and your dog shows you what it can really do. He'll give you many more moments where you're heart will about burst with pride in him and every struggle along the way will have been worth it.

Ohp, now I'm getting all sappy just feeling your joy, better go hug my dog.