BC Boards

how to install power in a dog

bill virginia

1. dog age 7 years

2. great desire

3. good outruns

4. good flanks

5 problem

he will walk up on sheep and as soon as pressure is demanded he will flank left or right. i have worked with him for two years but very little success. the sheep become aware of this and challenge him. it then becomes difficult to move sheep.

any ideas

bill

What have you done in the way of confidence building while working him?

Im not sure you can "install" power in a dog, its some thing they either have or dont have. What type of sheep are you using?

I'm not very knowledgeable but I'd agree with Darci - I think power is something a dog has or doesn't have, but I also think that confidence can be built up or damaged by training. I think confidence is definitely a part of power so, if you can improve confidence, the power your dog has will be more apparent.

I have a dog without power and with confidence issues. However, when I can help improve his confidence, he can accomplish things that he couldn't otherwise.

I am probably babbling...

I do lots of driving close at hand where i can keep them in a straight walk up; your physical presence as well as keeping the dog walking straight will help increase the cofidence. The power is what it is...

I too have a dog that will flank off if she feels pressure; She is much better on sheep than others; however, we continue towork on tough sheep, not just look for hair sheep to trial on...I think it is better for hr in the long run.

cynthia

Is this happening when he drives? or on the fetch? If it's the drive put him on a line and walk with him..The line will help prevent him from flanking, go with him when the pressure starts getting to him flick your whip at the sheep and YOU make the sheep move, if your timing is right the dog will think he did it. Everytime the sheep challenge the dog YOU get the sheep to move away, make some kind of sound that can become a "rush" command for your dog. In short work the sheep with the dog, help the dog to get more confidence. I did the above with a dog I had that was unsure of herself in no time at all she had turned into a cocky little devil.

I'm just a novice, but got what might be a good tip from a great trainer. Have the dog drive the sheep to a fence line or corner and then call the dog off and let the sheep drift out again. Then ask the dog to drive them back. They seem to "get" this job pretty quickly and like it. You just have to be careful about instilling a "drive away" notion cut it doesn't sound like you have that kind of problem. You can make it increasingly difficult by making the fence line unnatractive and the center attractive (hay) . I would definitely help him as you start.

Nancy (I'm doing this with my 6 year old and I think it's helping although he has different problems)

1. dog age 7 years

2. great desire

3. good outruns

4. good flanks

5 problem

he will walk up on sheep and as soon as pressure is demanded he will flank left or right. i have worked with him for two years but very little success. the sheep become aware of this and challenge him. it then becomes difficult to move sheep.

any ideas

bill

Im not sure you can "install" power in a dog, its some thing they either have or dont have.

I don't have huge amounts of personal experience with this yet, but a trainer I trust has said several times that power can be developed from increasing natural feel - in other words a lot of power is confidence. I've seen him do this via similar things to what Nancy describes and have played with it some with salvage/rescues and it does seem to work as far as I can see.

The big thing is taking time and patience and accepting very small steps and even apparent relapses as progress.

thank you

Rebecca, Irene, F1 sheepdoggal, sue R, Cynthia P, RoseAmy, nancy Bovee

RoseAmy good suggestion i tried it and it worked well. Cynthia will try physical presence.

to answer your questions:

1. sheep--hair. goats--young

2. when does he break the straight drive....driving and fetching.

anyone wishing to add suggestions please do, i could use your advise.

thanks,

bill

I would suggest using some easier sheep for a little while, ones that dont challenge the dog and move off easy to build the dogs confidence and then gradually , as the dog becomes more confident, start using more difficult sheep. I agree with Sue, and thats why I had asked the questions I did, I too think if you can improve confidence, the power your dog "has" will be more apparent.

I think you can instill more confidence in a dog, but I dont think you can install more power than what is there.