BC Boards

Excessive Peeing

M.L.

I am slowly switching the dogs to a home cooked diet. At this point they eat dry food in the morning and they get the home cooked meal at night. I have been doing this for about two weeks. The only supplement they are getting as of yet is a blend of oils for their skin and coat.

The dogs all have to pee excessively! To the point where they are having accidents on the floor at night - A LOT of pee that is very clear. I take away their water bowl around 8 p.m. and they actually seem to be drinking less water during the day since starting to eat the home cooked food, which makes sense.

Has anyone else had this problem when switching to home cooked? Are their bodies just adjusting to the higher moisture level? There are no other issues and it is happening to all four dogs.

Thanks for any input!

I use a combined method of home cooked and raw. Raw in the morning and home cooked at night. When I vary the grain portion they get one day of soft poo but I haven't noticed much dif in the pee times. Someone did have a few accidents last week, I blamed myself on not getting them out before bed.

I wonder if timing has changed and you are having the same issue, or if the body processes it in a different time frame so they have to pee more often or at different times. Their poo is now tiny.

I sure can tell a wonderful dif. in all of them without any dog food.

What are you cooking for them?

I'm using long grain brown rice, and oatmeal, I've switched grains a couple times for the oats but found the oats do the best. I tried barley and might try it again but for now I decided to keep the grains the same. 2 forms of veggies (that's where things vary with different batches of what I cook) usually I keep sweet potatoes as one of the veggies, olive oil, flaxseed, and minced garlic. Sometimes I use broth for some of the water, sometimes I put in 4-5 eggs when it's still hot. One batch lasts about 4-5 days for 4 dogs. It fills a big cake pan size plastic container when done. On top their grain mix, I add a topper of, liver, gizzard, kidney, sardines in oil, whole oysters, cottage cheese, rigotta (sp?) cheese, yogurt, or canned mackeral, It's not a lot on top, only 1 of those things listed per night. I try to vary it each night. Or at least a couple times a week. They get a fish oil cap except on the sardine or mackeral night, I skip the cap. I also found that I needed to chop up the veggies, or they were coming out whole. So I use the food processor or mash by hand. I haven't tried adding fruit. Do you?

They are super healthy on the food end. The fat dogs got thin, the thin dogs are maintaining and their coats all look great. My old Jazzy girl is keeping up with the young ones now. She can trot the mile or so that I take her without ever losing steam. We walk longer, but she used to never be able to keep up the trot. I think it's her weight loss.

We've been doing this since right before Thanksgiving. With the move coming up, I've been trying to talk myself into adding back a quailty kibble so that I can travel a bit easier. Don't know what I'll do.

Good luck, I think you'll be pleased when you get it down to a routine. That was the hard part for me. This weekend I found myself cooking the grains while I had 4 hungry dogs watching. I don't like to almost run out. I want extra in case I can't cook for some reason. I'm thinking I need to cook 2 batches ahead of time so I dont worry so much about running out.

Have you always taken the water up, and why? that's something I don't do. But I'm a light sleeper and I don't hear anyone drinking during the night.

Sara is on a homemade diet (mainly stews) but I deliberately make it with lots of fluids since she's old and I don't want kidney problems. I would just remind you that vegetables, rice/pasta, etc. have a lot of water in them so even though they're drinking less, your dogs are probably taking in a lot more fluids than in the past. Their system may just need to adjust some and their potty schedule may have to be increased. I wouldn't think the clear urine was a problem - just showing that they're getting more fluids so the urine is not as concentrated as when you're feeding dry kibble. You get the same results a lot of times when you switch from dry to canned food.

What are you cooking for them?

I make a stew for them. I have been using chicken, ground beef, ground turkey and fish. So far for grains I have used barley, oats, millet and quinoa. I add veggies - carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, celery, spinach and a few others. I haven't added any fruit to their meal, but I do share when I'm eating fruit. The dogs especially love blueberries, strawberries, apples and oranges. I also add garlic, parsley, rosemary and a few other herbs. As toppings they get yogurt, cottage cheese, dried kelp powder and anything else that is good for them.

I run all the veggies through the blender before adding them to the stew, that way they are more digestible. So far, no stomach problems.

I have been using a few books for recipes. I also have a few recipes from the vet.

Whole Pet Diet

Pitcairn's Guide to Natural Health

Dog and Cat Diets

Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog

This weekend I found myself cooking the grains while I had 4 hungry dogs watching. I don't like to almost run out. I want extra in case I can't cook for some reason. I'm thinking I need to cook 2 batches ahead of time so I dont worry so much about running out.

I find myself doing the same thing! And then I have to let it cool for a while before they can eat! We only have a normal sized refrigerator and freezer, which is annoying. I can't make a lot ahead of time because there isn't enough room to store it. I can't wait to have a large chest freezer so I can make a bunch and freeze it.

Have you always taken the water up, and why?

Willow will drink water throughout the night and then end up having an accident on the floor. I found that taking the water up around 8:00 solved that problem. Until now!

I would just remind you that vegetables, rice/pasta, etc. have a lot of water in them so even though they're drinking less, your dogs are probably taking in a lot more fluids than in the past. Their system may just need to adjust some and their potty schedule may have to be increased. I wouldn't think the clear urine was a problem - just showing that they're getting more fluids so the urine is not as concentrated as when you're feeding dry kibble.

I figured that they just need to adjust to the change. I should probably try to feed them earlier in the evening as well. Right now they don't eat until about 7:00 because that is when my husband and I usually sit down to eat. We take them out for the last time before bed around 11:00 or 11:30 and we are up around 5:30 a.m. to take them outside. I'm not worried about the clear pee - just that they are having to go so often and they pee rivers!