BC Boards

Taking the plunge

We have an appointment this weekend to see if Ceana and Poke are interested in stock and how much, if any, instinct they have. This has been a long time coming. We promised Ceana when she was 7 weeks old she would get to test herself some day. Now that we have a lot of our behavior issues under control (2.8 years later) and she has her "Super Poke," to ease her mind we can make it a reality. Even if they both are horrible and have no future in herding I feel much better knowing we are giving it a shot. It actually feels like a weight off my chest to just suck it up and make the appointment.

Both of you have fun! The most important thing is just to make the first experience positive for the dog. You won't know a whole lot the first time, anyway, so just go with no expectations and enjoy the experience. I predict you'll love it! Be sure to let us know how it goes and take pics, if you can. :rolleyes:

Oh my goodness... that was SO much fun!!! Both dogs had a blast and the best part was my husband LOVED it! This is defienetly something we can both do together with the dogs. As soon as we got out of the car Ceana's eyes were glued to the sheep! We didn't get as many pictures as we'd have liked due to the unanticipated excitement of the each dog when the other one was in the pen. Poke actually slipped his harness like Houdini on Ceana's second try and was about to jump the fence and I had to just hold his collar the rest of the time.

Ceana moved better than Poke and immedietly started trying to move the stock towards Chris and the trainer. Dodie (oops I should have mentioned we went to see Dodie Green) said she was doing excellent at changing directions and seemed to be the easier one to train. The only pictures we got of Ceana were the first initial 2 minutes so she looks like she has been electricuted with excitement. After that Poke was just far too excited for me to attempt to handle my camera.

Poke went hog wild. Dodie said he was "a lot of dog."- Which was the last thing I would have expected! I wasn't even sure if Poke would be interested in live stock! She said he had a really good bite and bit properly a few times. It was crazy to see my sweet boy grip down on a goat and then you would say his name if he held on too long and he would have the presence of mind to look at you and let go!

I am uploading the pictures now so I can post what I have in the pictures section. How is it that when you are in the round pen everything moves so fast!?! I am surprised that I stayed on my feet! It doesn't look so fast when you are watching, but when you are trying to avoid all of that craziness your feet just aren't fast enough!

Glad you had a good time and that the dogs did so well. My friend Cheryl trains with Dodie as well. She is a true legend in the game. My hubby and I went to a friend's lesson and Dodie put on a demo for us. We enjoyed visiting with her and seeing her place. When do you go again? N