BC Boards

My BC throws up rich food for his younger sister

NC_Y2K9

Let me start by saying that Darcy (male BC mix, 4 years old) has his yearly routine visit in a couple of weeks and I'll definitely be bringing this up with the vet. I wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

When feeding foods other than our normal kibble at a mealtime (as opposed to any treats), Darcy will regurgitate most if not all of what he's eaten. He only does this with what I'll call "rich" type foods - cooked chicken or beef. He also will only throw up after chasing around the yard his younger sister, McKenzie, and as odd as it sounds, to anyone who's witnessed the behavior, it looks like he's throwing up for McKenzie like it's a gift (gee, thanks, right?). He has no signs of distress, his tail is up, face is relaxed. As odd as it sounds, I swear he looks like he enjoys being her provider.

He doesn't show any discomfort before or after regurgitation. Frequently, the 2 of them start to dine on the, um, leftovers, together before I can get there to scoop it up. Then they'll happily continue playing and everything goes back to normal. Even when I mandate a rest period after mealtime, as soon as they're let out 1-2 hours later, the same thing happens.

I feed a high quality kibble - Evo Red Meat or Chicken/Turkey. Plenty of fresh water always available. I've never witnessed this in any other dogs, so wondering if anyone has any ideas? Could it be behavioral vs. medical? I'm sure not to reinforce the behavior by giving more food after it happens, so it's not like he's learned "puking = more good stuff"

I have 2 other dogs who are never part of the exchange. One is truly a puppy - a 16 week old BC...but Darcy doesn't behave this way with the pup.

I appreciate any opinions or observations! Thanks! Sorry for the gross mental images! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
I feed a high quality kibble - Evo Red Meat or Chicken/Turkey. Plenty of fresh water always available. I've never witnessed this in any other dogs, so wondering if anyone has any ideas? Could it be behavioral vs. medical? I'm sure not to reinforce the behavior by giving more food after it happens, so it's not like he's learned "puking = more good stuff"

I think that's pretty unlikely. My first inclination is to think that there is something physical going on and I would try to bump up that vet visit, if possible.

Wolves or other undomesticated species (African Wild Dog) will regurgitate food to feed a litter of new pups. It's not just the dam who will do so, but other members of the pack, as well. When the pups lick the lips of the older members, this stimulates the regurgitation. As for your situation, dunno,

A