BC Boards

Coming into the Bubble vs. Weak

Hi,

I'm working with a person who recently got a little border collie, about 1 1/2 years from the neighbors. The dog was previously allowed to roam free and worked on her own through a fence horses and cattle for some time. Her new owner wants to make her into a cow dog, and she seems to have a fair amount of instinct but will not hold the pressure point when faced up with stock. She will hit heels hard if stock is turning away from her and already moving and seems to want to go to the head to stop them, but once she gets to the head of stock, she will either flank away from any pressure there or stay stuck in a down. Because she appears to have a decent amount of instinct and is from working lines, I'm hoping this is just a result of a year or so of watching stock through a barrier, and she just hasn't come around to figuring out she can turn stock herself. But, realistically, she may just not want to have anything to do with that pressure. Right now, I'm beginning to have doubts thatl she will make a sheepdog, let alone a cow dog, but she's such a nice little dog other than this, that I'd like to help him as much as I can.

So far I've recommended that she be worked on very easy sheep and also in some smaller areas where she gets some practice bringing them out from the fence and corner. In the open, she does ok since she can be at enough distance that most sheep will turn for her, but on the fence is where she is having the most trouble. Any ideas on getting her to hold that pressure better and to give her the confidence to come into the head and move her stock? The stock has stared her down a little (that the owner has, she does fine on my super dog broke sheep) but have not hurt or scared her as far as I know. The new owner no longer lets her roam but keeps her kennelled unless he is working or interacting with her.

Hi,

I'm working with a person who recently got a little border collie, about 1 1/2 years from the neighbors. The dog was previously allowed to roam free and worked on her own through a fence horses and cattle for some time. Her new owner wants to make her into a cow dog, and she seems to have a fair amount of instinct but will not hold the pressure point when faced up with stock. She will hit heels hard if stock is turning away from her and already moving and seems to want to go to the head to stop them, but once she gets to the head of stock, she will either flank away from any pressure there or stay stuck in a down. Because she appears to have a decent amount of instinct and is from working lines, I'm hoping this is just a result of a year or so of watching stock through a barrier, and she just hasn't come around to figuring out she can turn stock herself. But, realistically, she may just not want to have anything to do with that pressure. Right now, I'm beginning to have doubts thatl she will make a sheepdog, let alone a cow dog, but she's such a nice little dog other than this, that I'd like to help him as much as I can.

So far I've recommended that she be worked on very easy sheep and also in some smaller areas where she gets some practice bringing them out from the fence and corner. In the open, she does ok since she can be at enough distance that most sheep will turn for her, but on the fence is where she is having the most trouble. Any ideas on getting her to hold that pressure better and to give her the confidence to come into the head and move her stock? The stock has stared her down a little (that the owner has, she does fine on my super dog broke sheep) but have not hurt or scared her as far as I know. The new owner no longer lets her roam but keeps her kennelled unless he is working or interacting with her.

Doesn't sound like the dog is ruined, but the "previous life" may be part of the pick up off the fence problem. You were right that she she be on easy sheep - you must be careful not to put her onto sheep that will not turn away from her or that will stand her off for a while.

When lifting off the fence you must put yourself in the most advantageous place to make her job as easy as possible. In other words, do not set it up that she pulls directly off the fence, insteed set up to pull off at a 35-45 degree angle, backing away so that the sheep follow.

If she will hit like it sounds like she will on the cattle, when working keep backing up and turning so that she has to go to the front to turn them toward you. Give her a lot of encouragement and hissing. Keep it short and fun and don't allow her to get into a stand off situation. If she does, go help her get out of it so she knows its a team effort.

Good luck -

Vergil

Doesn't sound like the dog is ruined, but the "previous life" may be part of the pick up off the fence problem. You were right that she she be on easy sheep - you must be careful not to put her onto sheep that will not turn away from her or that will stand her off for a while.

When lifting off the fence you must put yourself in the most advantageous place to make her job as easy as possible. In other words, do not set it up that she pulls directly off the fence, insteed set up to pull off at a 35-45 degree angle, backing away so that the sheep follow.

If she will hit like it sounds like she will on the cattle, when working keep backing up and turning so that she has to go to the front to turn them toward you. Give her a lot of encouragement and hissing. Keep it short and fun and don't allow her to get into a stand off situation. If she does, go help her get out of it so she knows its a team effort.

Good luck -

Vergil

Thank you for answering- I will encourage him to keep at it with her!