BC Boards

Annie In Doggie Day Care

DW and I decided that, as much as Annie loves other dogs, she should have the opportunity to socialize with them. So twice a week, I get up extra-early, and drop her off at a doggie day care for a half-day session on my way to work; DW picks her up at midday. Does this tire Annie out at all? Well, the person who oversees the section where Annie plays (she has 4 Border Collies herself) told DW that she is surprised that Annie can go all day without stopping to rest; she has never seen a dog with such a high energy level. And what happens when DW gets her home? Annie goes and gets a ball, or a frisbee, or a stuffed duck, or some other toy, and immediately wants to play some more; no nap, no rest, just go, go, go.

At what age do Border Collies finally start taking naps during the day? Annie is going on 5 years old, and still hasn't slowed down. :rolleyes:

At what age do Border Collies finally start taking naps during the day? Annie is going on 5 years old, and still hasn't slowed down. :rolleyes:

I dunno. Quinn was napping during the day as a puppy -- but he didn't have a whole lot of choice since he was crated while I worked. I credit the early crate training for his lovely off switch. I also don't leave fetch toys where he can get them on his own because he will ruin them through chewing and/or constantly pester me to play with him. While Quinn would love to be on the go all day, that just isn't how it works around here. Fortunately he has adapted well and can amuse himself or snooze the day away quite happily.

Odin sleeps about 4-6 hours in a typical day, both cat naps and longer konk-outs. He would go all day if I let him or asked him to, though, I know that. Not saying you don't encourage off-switch in Annie, Odin may just be, well, a big ol' easy-going male, or something. Although it's definitely ONLY in a relative sense - my friends and coworkers would laugh to hear him described that way!