BC Boards

Meteorologic Hyperbole --> A Great Walk!

We got 6" of snow on Sunday. Then forecast bitter cold. I ordered some "Musher's Secret" on Monday (maybe Tuesday) and it came in the mail today. Slapped it on my dog's feet, then headed to the local reservoir to see if he could get a few minutes' exercise.

Well, between the storm and today, the city had, in its rare serendipitous wisdom, sent some kind of groomer out onto the snow trail, so instead of huffing through snow underlaid by ice, twisting my ankles and knees, I got to walk on a wide path of packed powder with a scuffed surface. The Musher's Secret worked, and my poor dog with limpy paws was running like a demon, happy to be stretching his legs after a week of difficult walking. And best of all, the weather forecasters, who were making it sound like I'd freeze stepping outside my door, had scared everyone away. I had the hundreds of acres near the lake to myself, so I didn't have to leash my dog at all. It was hardly terrible cold: 10ish degrees with no wind - easily managed with a good jacket and mittens. We got in a good 75 minute walk in pristine snow, with the gorgeous winter sunset and that light that only comes this time of year.

::Sigh::

So content.

Mary

:rolleyes:

Well, I mean, it's COLD. But I've been out in far worse cold with Buddy over the last few winters - the kind where, standing still, the wind blows through your coat and you feel your fingers go numb through the thick mittens. Yesterday, since there was no wind, I was actually warm inside my coat and gloves. Big difference!

Mary

Man, with a week of -22F, I would LOVE some 10 degree weather! Though, the dogs and I are kinda getting used to it. As long as I keep them moving they stay warm and I can stay out about 20 minutes before I start to freeze solid. Sounds like you had a great time!

LOL Ninso.

It is amazing how warm a still 10 degrees can feel when you've been into the negatives or even just had incredible winds. The first time in the fall it hits 40 degrees here, it feels cold. But when it hits 40 degrees in January and February, people around here go out in T-shirts; it's balmy!

Gotta love, too, that sunset is a full 26 minutes later today than it was five weeks ago. Spring is just around the corner! :rolleyes:

Mary