BC Boards

Discharge after whelping?

HELLO...

Jasmine and her eight little pups are doing wonderfully well! However, we've noticed Jasmine has some brown-ish discharge from her female privates...Is this normal, or should I call the vet? There isn't a lot, but enough to spot the carpet in a few places...and there are a couple of spots in the whelping box too. I would appreciate any input you can offer.

Thanks,

Kristin

Spottie had a similar discharge for a very long time after whelping. I remember fretting about it but the vet told me to relax, it was normal. Actually, more than one vet because i couldn't just "relax" about it. :rolleyes:

The 2 bc's that had pups must have been very clean because when bunny(westie mix) had her pups and was still needing to be washed 2 weeks later(very dirty dog) . I freaked and my vet even then said be calm and yes it did clear up in about another week.

Did she have much diarrhea? I've never managed to wrestle away any of the extra afterbirths as most books will prescribe.

Perfectly normal. Can go on for quite a little while. Ever had a baby? Same thing, kinda,

A

Thanks...I won't worry so much then. It doesn't seem like a lot to me, but I was a little nervous about it.

No, I've never had a baby--so this is as close as I'll get to experiencing birth!! :-)

Is there a reason why Jasmine would still be, occasionally, nesting (pawing at the bottom of the whelping box as if she were nesting before delivery)?

This board has the BEST people & answers!!

Thanks, in advance, for your advice, support, and answers!

Kristin

They (the moms) are all different, but they certainly will still dig around the box, which is why lots of info will tell you not to use too much bedding in there--they can rearrange things and suffocate a pup under blankets and such. My girl will do a lot of that, and then plop herself down REALLY hard on the pups, and it scares the heck out of me, but they seem to do OK with it. :rolleyes:

I have to tell you--all this puppy talk is getting me really excited and ready--my bitch is due next Friday (planned breeding, top workers, all pups already sold--before folks get on the bandwagon)...thanks for getting me primed!

A

I have to tell you--all this puppy talk is getting me really excited and ready--my bitch is due next Friday (planned breeding, top workers, all pups already sold--before folks get on the bandwagon)...thanks for getting me primed!

A

Geez, no kidding. Here we have Jasmine's pups and i'm "watching" 2 bitches on the internet (Hi Anna & Loretta!) waiting for puppies to pop out at any minute. It's no wonder i'm about to go nuts trying to wait until this wednesday when we can do the ultrasound to see if Gael is pregnant or not.