BC Boards

Introduction and question.

Hello,

I read and posted here a couple years ago when I was researching border collies, I ended up rescuing a 5mo old Australian shepherd/border collie from the Aussie rescue 2yrs ago, she is a wonderful dog and I couldn't be happier with her, she is fantastic with my kids and we are taking agility classes.

Here is Skye.....

skye.jpg

My question is about my foster dog Jade, that we picked up Christmas eve morning, she already has a home, but I am keeping her a couple weeks for some obedience training and to see what makes her "click" before taking her to her new home.

Jade is really a pretty good dog, very mellow, nice size (30lbs), just wants to cuddle, and has picked up everything I have taught her very quickly, she no longer pulls on the leash, waits to go through doorways and waits for me to release her to eat (very difficult for her), sit and down no problem. Still need to work on stay because she wants to be glued to my side.

She was an owner release because she jumped fences.....the home she is going to is out in the country they have 35 acres a huge pond, her owners are retired and run a small business out of their home, no sheep (yet lol) or livestock, but plenty of exploring, they spend a lot of time outside gardening and taking care of their land,

The only issue that I see with her is that she is very reactive to other dogs, my dog is fantastic, tries to play with her, and doesn't get upset when she snaps at her (she has gotten a couple mouthfuls of hair) keeps her distance when she gets snappy. But my sisters weimariner would have gotten into a fight with her if both were not on leashes. Over the past week, she has gotten much better with my dog, even acts like she "wants" to play just doesn't know how (I have a feeling she was never socialized). I have a feeling she would be amazing on sheep, she has a lot of drive (tries to herd my dog like crazy). Since she is moving to the country and they have no other dogs, is this something I should work on or just let it be what it is. Right now we are just taking it really slow and if she lets Skye sniff her without getting upset we praise a ton, and just last night she started sniffing Skye (before she wouldn't even make eye contact).

My other questions is that she does not know how to play AT ALL, not with people, not with toys. She just wants to be curled up in your lap. Is this something that might change later? Or is this just how she is, I don't think I have ever seen a dog that won't play with anything.

Thanks!

here is a picture of Jade,

jade2.jpg

I have one of those. Her name is Bliss. She does NOT like toys. She enjoys a hoof or a Kong. We are trying to help her play. She likes the chasing of toys but just does not know what to do when the toy stops. We put the other dog up and try dragging the toy around so she'll get the idea of playing.

She is a sweetie pie and mostly just wants lovin' but has to be closely supervised when other dogs are playing because she tends to bite when they go for the ball, frisbee, etc. I have no clue what happened to her in her former life. But be careful. My "main" dog had 8 stitches because of her fear or aggressiveness of others running for objects.

I'd start out with playing with people. That's what I did. Praise, praise praise and make it fun. Obedience can be fun, too. It serves 2 purpureus. Training the dog and making a bond between you both. Lots of treats, which no dog can resist. Plus it will be easier to place her. With her going to a large farm, she needs a solid recall.

BTW- both of your dogs are stunning. Good luck!!

True dog reactivity will probably take more than a couple weeks to "cure." She may just be getting used to her new home and figuring out her place. My dog was slightly "dog-reactive" for the first couple months I had him, but got better on his own after we had bonded more and he learned to look to me for protection and guidance. I would make her new home aware of the problem and let them decided whether it's an issue they need to work on or whether it won't be a problem in her new situation. Two weeks isn't enough time to fix everything and her new owners will be responsible for keeping up with her training.

As for dogs that won't play, my dog was like that too. It took a couple months before he started to play at all, and then he would only play outside and only with certain toys. It was about nine months before he started playing inside and with anything that even might be a toy. Now he's a total maniac and a playing machine, but I never would have thought it possible seeing him as he was when I first picked him up.

True dog reactivity will probably take more than a couple weeks to "cure." She may just be getting used to her new home and figuring out her place. My dog was slightly "dog-reactive" for the first couple months I had him, but got better on his own after we had bonded more and he learned to look to me for protection and guidance. I would make her new home aware of the problem and let them decided whether it's an issue they need to work on or whether it won't be a problem in her new situation. Two weeks isn't enough time to fix everything and her new owners will be responsible for keeping up with her training.

You are right two weeks is not enough time to really do much of anything as she is still just settling in. The two weeks was mainly for me just to see what type of dog she is, and to get started on any obedience or behavioral issues she might have. That way I have some idea of what might work with her, if they start having any issues.

The new owners are more than willing to work with her on everything, they just wanted her to know the commands and then they can just reinforce them.

I have talked with them about her issues with other dogs and they are not to worried about it, since there really are no other dogs in the area. And she doesn't seem to actively seek out other dogs, just doesn't like them in her space.

I have talked with them about her issues with other dogs and they are not to worried about it, since there really are no other dogs in the area. And she doesn't seem to actively seek out other dogs, just doesn't like them in her space.

I wouldn't worry about it then! As long as her new owners are aware of potential problems that should be enough. Desensitization is a LOT of work (as I'm finding out with a foster of mine who is afraid of men)!

Wow - both of your dogs are beautiful!

When I first got my dog at a year-and-a-half, I was told she liked other dogs...but you couldn't prove that by me. She was very reactive to my older dog, and I was very careful about her being around boarders (even through a fence.) I would have classified her at that time as reactive. But...she's not at all reactive! Turns out that she was just adjusting and that was a part of it. So I'm not sure you can truly classify this dog as reactive this early.

As far as not playing with toys and wanting to curl in your lap instead:

1. My older dog did not play when he came to me...he had been a stray and was very dog oriented and not used to playing with people. He now plays to some extent in his own way.

2. Maybe the new owners will like a quiet dog that is more lap oriented than play oriented.

It all sounds promising. And, I was not just saying it...both of your dogs...beautiful. :rolleyes: