BC Boards

Who said "slow" was easy

We know Charlie isn't deaf because he sure comes running when you call him, if he didn't respond to his name I think I would be convinced he was deaf! We have no history on him. All I know is that he was terrified of coming into the house when we first brought him home. He has been with us about two weeks now, so he is starting to come a little bit out of his shell.

We do not reward him with snuggles for getting on the bed at night. Every time he gets up he gets kicked right off. Dogs do not get attention when it is time to sleep in our house. From 10pm to 6am all dogs are quiet, no playing, and no bugging people. I may have to start crating him at night. I try to avoid it since we are gone all day at work, and because this is usually the easiest rule for us to establish with a foster. Not with Charlie. He reminds me of Lenny from Of Mice and Men. The crate may have to come out at night until he does get it.

I don't think anyone has ever given him any kind of rules. He does not have an interest in toys besides looking at them trying to figure out what is so neat that Ceana and Poke are obsessed with them. He and Tripp will be staying with the dog sitter (well, actually she will be staying with them) while Poke and Ceana come back to CO w/ us for Christmas. We will see if he is just loving us, or if he LOVES everyone.

He looks like he is a little stoner when you pet him. His eyes squint tightly shut and he has a joyess smirk. He is such a good boy over all, he just needs to learn some manners. I will try teaching him a down as well, and I may try carrying a clicker around and only giving snuggles after a click. This might help teach him to look at people for direction... I think this is what he doesn't get. The concept of direction is foreign to him, it is so different than any BC I have ever been around.