BC Boards

Puppy & TYLENOL

Ok... This is probably going to spur a bunch of positive and mostly negitive responses, but I would like to hear peoples opinions on this. We took our Kaycee to the Vet this weekend to get checked out and get her 10 week shots. She was fine the day she went to the vet, ok on sunday but today began to eat a lot less than she usually does and took quite a few naps ( light letharthy ). Called the vet to ask about the vaccines she received as well as the meds she was given for hook and tape worm ( heard these are common amongst puppies????) Anyways - the vet said Kaycee should be fine she probably has a fever ( checked - and yes she does ) and to give her INFANT TYLENOL @ 10mg per KG of weight. Now I have had many of dogs in my past and I have always heard TYLENOL was deadly to dogs. I was corrected by the vet who std that it is dangerous in large doses and in cats it is fatal even in small doses. Well I searched the internet and found a few sites ( very few out there on the positive ) most of the sites were STRONGLY against it at any and all costs!!!! But the few I found basically std the same thing -- it has to be dosed in the proper format and not via pill etc. Infant/Children's tylenol only. Well, we gave Kaycee her "correct dosage" and she seems to have perked up nicely. What is everyones opinion on tylenol? Was I wrong for what I did in following my vets directions??? :rolleyes:

I try to stay away from any drug that has the potential for easy overdose/big side effects - on a vet's guidance I'd be more likely to use something (rimadyl, tylenol, etc.); never on my own.

There are certain dosages of Tylenol--CHILDRENS TYLENOL--that are 'safe,' but its always best to go by what your vet says. If you're uncomfortable buying it and dosing her yourself, don't hesitate to call your vet back and ask them to fill something there for you, I can't imagine they'd turn you down.

We dosed her already -- 1 dose seems to have done the trick. She's back to her normal puppy behavior today - terror on 4 legs. Just wanted to start this thread to get peoples opinions, since I read a few posts that were so dead against it.

The big problem with tylenol in dogs is that the effective dose and the lethal dose are fairly close together...aka not a wide margin for saftey. Most vets don't recommend it because of the potential for overdose and side effects and the availability of safer products.

We learned more about this when I was in school to become an Animal Health Tech, but that was 10 years ago now so I don't remember all the details.