BC Boards

Tracking with Joy

It's been a real hassle balancing my insane dog, high school, and the new house situation, but we're working out just fine:]

In fact, as long as the step mothers cat is away, Joy has earned privileges to come up stairs with no LEASH! WAY TO GO JOY!

Anyways, she's also made some fantastic progress with her t raining. We found our last (and final) agility trainer, who is fantastic. She has tons of border collies who act just like Joy, and she's helping me gain tremendous control over her. She is starting to stay away from other dogs, except she does show a lot of fear-type agression from a dog who looks similar to a brindle that attacked her, but that's another issue.

I wanted to start Joy on an activity that we could do outside in the winter, and something thats not mentally or physically (HAH!) taxing like obedience or agility is. I've decided on tracking! I was watching Victoria Stilwell the other day, and she was tracking with this weim. It's not horribly expensive, and all I really need is a bottle of the training scent and some rags.

Does anyone track with their dogs?

Not really the type of tracking you'll be doing, though the principles are the same, but Ziva and I do Search and Rescue. In fact, she's having her big "test" on a .8 to 1 mile track this weekend to see what we need to do and how long it should take to get her certified and deployable.

One of the things that has really struck me with SAR work is that dogs "get" way more than we give them credit for - Ziva is tracking people without any of the little "cookie in the shoe print" work that you often hear of for competative tracking - she just KNOWS - it's kinda freaky!

I wanted to start Joy on an activity that we could do outside in the winter, and something thats not mentally or physically (HAH!) taxing like obedience or agility is. I've decided on tracking! I was watching Victoria Stilwell the other day, and she was tracking with this weim. It's not horribly expensive, and all I really need is a bottle of the training scent and some rags.

Does anyone track with their dogs?

Hi,

Tracking is pretty time consuming, but really addictive! It may not be physically taxing, but it is good for tiring them out mentally. It takes mental stamina to stay focused on the track and not start following those critters-LOL!

I've done AKC tracking with my dogs for about 15 yrs and have put TD's on 3 dogs and a TDX on 1 dog. There are lots of different ways to train your dog and people have been successful with all of them. If you can find some experienced trackers in your area that would be great! But if not, I know of people that train totally on their own and do just fine.

Tracking is a wonderful way to spend time with your dog=) Have fun and happy tracking~

Janet

Not really the type of tracking you'll be doing, though the principles are the same, but Ziva and I do Search and Rescue. In fact, she's having her big "test" on a .8 to 1 mile track this weekend to see what we need to do and how long it should take to get her certified and deployable.

One of the things that has really struck me with SAR work is that dogs "get" way more than we give them credit for - Ziva is tracking people without any of the little "cookie in the shoe print" work that you often hear of for competative tracking - she just KNOWS - it's kinda freaky!

How exciting!!! Good luck to you and Ziva on her big test! Please let us know how you two do. Most importantly-Trust your dog!!! She knows(nose) her job=)

Janet

Great to hear from you guys again! We were getting a little worried about you. I was hoping you didn't decide to give Joy up or something. You should have a lot of fun tracking with Joy and I hope this new agility trainer continues to help you! It's always good to have good news.

Thanks everyone :]

I should probably edit the first post, because I wanted to something that WOULD mentally tire her out, without the frustration and stress. We've been practicing 'tracking' with a lion beanie baby and -don't get me wrong, I know Joy's smart- but she got it right away! I was really impressed!

Great to hear from you guys again! We were getting a little worried about you. I was hoping you didn't decide to give Joy up or something. You should have a lot of fun tracking with Joy and I hope this new agility trainer continues to help you! It's always good to have good news.

Pshh...us border collie owners should get an A+ for perserverance...forget people in the olympics with prosthetic legs! Joy damaged me socially for 2 years already and I'm not about to give up :rolleyes: