BC Boards

The Pawspice Quality of Life Scale

Jo&Tex

I mentioned this on Nell's med thread and some were curious.

http://www.homevet.com/petcare/documents/quality.pdf

It's also known as the HHHHHMM Scale and I'm finding it to be helpful in gauging Nell's state of health, since it has varied from day to day. Left on her own, Nell will run herself silly and then spends a night of restless whining and heavy panting. Now I'm limiting her time outside and just making sure she gets a good bit of exercise but not too much.

HURT 1 - 10

Adequate pain control is at the top of the list. Not being able to breathe also ranked at the top of the scale.

HUNGER 1 - 10

Is the animal geting enough nutrition, either willingly, by hand or force fed?

HYDRATION 1 - 10

Is the animal able to drink enough? Will subcutanous fluids be beneficial?

HYGIENE 1 - 10

Is the animal able to stay clean and groom itself? Is it unable to move away from feces and urine? Is

the coat matted?

HAPPINESS 1 - 10

Does the pet experience any joy or mental stimulation? Does it still interact? Is the pet isolated, depressed, anxious or afraid?

MOBILITY 1 - 10

Can the pet move around with or without assistance? Does it stumble or have seizures? Will amputation or a wheelchair or sling be helpful?

MORE GOOD DAYS THAN BAD 1 - 10

The overall status of the pet.

Like I said above, Nell is starting to have some bad times, but I still have a bit of control, through meds, food and exercise of how she's faring.