BC Boards

Is this some sort of bite??

Guest maya's mom

Guest maya's mom

Attached is a pitcure of some small'ish red "bites" that are on Maya's belly. There are three in total, and the best thing I can compare them to, is what looks like a human bug bite. She is not itching at them, nor does she react when I look at her belly and touch them, etc. They have been there for a few days now. She got this exact thing about a month ago...........two or three of these bites, though they were a little smaller last time, and I just watched them for a few days, and they went away on there own. Maya is treated monthly with FrontLine+, and is mainly only in our backyard, which is in a suburban neighborhood. She has been into the woods twice, which I must admit, does kind of coincide with the presence of these bites. Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be? This is my first dog, so I don't know what flea bites, or ticks would look like. We check her regularly, and have never found a tick or anything else on her. She has no other "symptoms" of a problem of any sort. I am wodnering if this warrants a vet visit, since it is not the first time I have seen them. They are not anywhere else on her, from what I can see. Thanks for any opinions.

post-8715-1226117274_thumb.jpg

They look like mosquito bites to me, but if she's not scratching at them, I'm stumped. You could take her to the vet if concerned, but if they aren't bothering her, she's not running fever, having any symptoms of distress or allergic reaction, then it's probably just a minor bite or irritation of some kind. If the spots start showing signs of necrosis (black and blue or black) then get her to the vet ASAP --- that likely would be spider bites.

I guess I would not worry if she is not irritated by them. Yes, they could be some sort of bite but as long as they don't become infected, cause irritation (itching, scratching), and go away shortly without any ill effects, I would ignore them.

My one dog does have some sort of skin "problem" - if he gets a bite (like a flea bite) or a scratch on his belly, he gets a red spot or line (just like your dog shows) that shortly becomes a pimple-like spot (filled with white pus), which then usually pops and drains and heals with no problem. At first, I took him to the vet and was given oral antibiotics and a drying topical spray. But, I have found in subsequent "outbreaks" that just ignoring them (or spraying them once or twice with the drying spray if they are more extensive) produces the same results without the use of oral antibiotics. They simply appear as red spots one day, are a pustule the second and maybe third day, and are drying up by the next day, and gone by the fourth or fifth day at the latest.

I think that your spots look like some sort of bite, maybe a flea, mosquito, gnat, or other biting insect (not a tick - they latch on and feed for some days) but honestly think that they are probably not a health issue. If your dog had resident fleas, you would see a lot of scratching and find flea "dirt" (small bits of dried flea excrement, which is mainly composed of digested blood) on your dog. If you are not seeing this, then I don't think fleas are a problem for your dog.

Isn't it amazing how we worry over our dogs (and other loved pets)? I know I do. Best wishes!

They look like the blackfly bites my dogs sometimes get. The dogs never seem too bothered by them, most of the time they don't even scratch or lick at the bites.

Maya's Mom - I did forget to mention one thing. You are located just a bit north of us and, although flea season should be over now (since we've had some good frosts and a freeze), my dogs are still picking up an occasional flea. I found one on Celt just the other day.

Remember that even if you are using an effective flea control medication, a flea that gets on your dog will still have to bite your dog at least once, and maybe more than once, depending on the treatment, before it becomes incapacitated and dies. So, while your treatment may be controlling fleas, it will not be preventing all flea bites.

While I have used Frontline Plus successfully for a number of years, it appears that the fleas we had this summer were resistant and it was not controlling them at all, even when applied more frequently than recommended. I had to switch back to Advantage (actually, I used Advantix) to kill fleas on my dogs and stop the flea cycle. You might be seeing some resistance to Frontline Plus in your local flea population and, if that is the case, you may need to switch to another form of flea control.

I am in a rural area and, until this year, only had a flea problem one year (fleas came into my house/yard from relatives' dogs), and flea treatment stopped that problem immedicately. We had very few neighbor dogs and little opportunity for resistance to develop. However, with mild winters, now having six other dogs within 1/10 of a mile of us, and also visiting places and relatives where there are resistant fleas, we are seeing more fleas and more flea control resistance.

In your area, fire ants shouldn't be an issue (they are located in the South), it is not blackfly or biting gnat time of year, and so I would probably guess fleas. Use a flea comb to check your dog (good places to check are at the tail head, around the neck, and on the belly (where you can find them running). Also look for flea dirt, which is granular (like tiny grains of dark sand) and will be loose on the surface of the skin and in the hair.

One other possibility is some form of allergy or irritation from something like a type of grass or other vegetation. Again, if you don't find fleas or flea signs, and she's not bothered by these, I would probably not worry unless the problem gets much more extensive.

If you do find fleas, you might try Advantage or even Comfortis (a new, oral flea preventative). Best wishes!

Guest maya's mom

Thanks for the replies. The spots are almost gone now, so I guess it wasn't any big deal. I am just worried about it being fleas though. Maya doesn't show any signs of fleas......no itching or biting, nor do my husband or I have any suspicious bites ot itching. I have checked her, specifically the white fur areas which are easier to look through, and I certainly don't see anything odd. No running or jumping things, etc. I don't have a flea comb, but I just used a fine tooth comb that is mine, and I ran it through a few areas, and then tapped it out onto a white paper towel. Nothing cam off of the comb. Flea dirt, etc. I have seen a few tiny tiny black flecks around her stomach area, but both times I saw this, we had recently taken a walk when it was wet outside, and I thought it was cinders/dust that I didn't get cleaned out of her hair. Any other suggestions on how I would kknow for sure if it was fleas, I would appreciate. Otherwise, I guess I will just keep an eye on it, and if it ever gets worse, check it out more. Thanks again!

Although I have already replied to Tara, I'd like to give the rest of the folks here a hint.  If you are not sure if something is flea "dirt" or other dirt, put some of the gritty bits into a clean, white bowl and add a very small amount of water.  Flea dirt will "bleed" red or red-brown into the water as it is made up of digested blood.  Other dirt will either not bleed color or will produce a brown or black "dirt" color.  One of my friends took in a wonderful stray terrier mix.  He was so flea-bitten that when she bathed him, the water ran reddish from the flea dirt.  Fortunately, he has a new and caring home now.  Fleas, like many parasites, have "preferred" hosts.  We had flea problems on our dogs (and cats) for several months this summer.  We were bitten little or not at all.  The fleas "preferred" the dogs and cats.  You can often have some level of fleas present and not experience bites yourself, as long as the fleas have sufficient food sources with your animals.  In a bad infestation, you will probably experience bites on people as well. 

Although I have already replied to Tara, I'd like to give the rest of the folks here a hint. If you are not sure if something is flea "dirt" or other dirt, put some of the gritty bits into a clean, white bowl and add a very small amount of water. Flea dirt will "bleed" red or red-brown into the water as it is made up of digested blood. Other dirt will either not bleed color or will produce a brown or black "dirt" color.

Great information! Thanks! :rolleyes: