BC Boards

Humping and marking territory issue?

Hello,

Well recently Elmo started humping his bed. He has never humped anything until he turned a little over a year (besides the occasional dominance humping). I had washed the bed, he chewed a bone on it, and ever sense has begun to hump it. He *is* neutered (at around 7 months) and I've heard that secondary sex characteristics do tend to stay with many dogs. The problem is that today he urinated on it, which of course, led to him getting some urine on the carpet. I had just taken him out 2 hours ago and he urinated his heart out on every poor tree and bush. What is his issue? Is it normal for dogs who are neutered to urinate on their items? Is it reserved for humped items?

Best plan of action? Remove bed completely?

Thanks

My Ben is, um, rather affectionate towards his bed but that's only one of his issues :rolleyes:. Anyway, for Ben humping is usually preceded by some licking and dragging the bed around a bit so I have learned to correct him at the point and it's usually not an issue. He seems to do it more when he is stressed. I don't have a problem managing the behavior but he also doesn't mark on it.

If Elmo checks out clear for a UTI, I would treat him as though he isn't house trained for a little bit to correct the marking in the house. I had to do this recently when the pack expanded to include another male foster and my roommate's male dog. All three of the boys were treated like unhousetrained puppies for a couple of weeks to get the "pee war" under control. For Elmo, I would include separating him from the bed when you are not around to correct the humping or marking.

Good luck!

Lisa