BC Boards

AvoDerm

MaryP

We went to visit my sister and her husband this weekend in Atlanta. When we got there, they let their two dogs out and I was shocked at the condition of their dogs, especially their bc, Hops. Besides carrying way too much weight (we've had several discussions about this over the weekend), his coat looked just awful! After I tried to gently break the news to them that their dogs were overweight, we began discussing how bad Hops' coat looked. They told me that their vet recommended that they switch to AvoDerm a while back because he thought Hops' coat was looking dry. Since switching, his coat looks even worse. I wasn't familiar with AvoDerm, so I Googled it. It is advertised as being a good food for improving a dog's skin and coat, but that is not what I saw. I told them that even if the food was supposed to help with the coat and skin, it obviously wasn't, so they should try something else. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had any experiences with this food.

Mary, the overweightness and improper coat texture and dry skin may be an indicator of a thyroid problem, Id have them checked. Also Avo derm use to be a pretty decent food, but its been awhile since I looked at a bag. I would suggest too, that the dogs get a couple of hot oil and or remoisturizer treatments at a local certified groomers. As well as having the owners start a regular brushing regimine as that will help bring out and distribute the natural oils in the coat and skin. Best of luck, I hope they can get back in shape.