BC Boards

2 extreme?

Hi everyone!

It has been a looong time since I have posted. But you guys have given me some very great advice for Ladybug. She is doing great now, and she is such a great dog. I knew she would be. She is so like a person, I cant get over it.

BUT! I think I have absolutely lost my mind. Even though I was thnking of getting another bc I have changed my mind. She takes a lot of time and attention just with her energy level. However, I now find myself with another family member, a shih tzu. AAAAaaaaaaaaagh! I didnt know how this was gonna go, but it is working so far. The shih tzu, Stormy, is so named because she was found left alone during a hurricane. The owners left her and another dog out on the street while they evacuated. The other dog did not survive. I didnt want another dog, but didint want to see her left alone to fend for herself either.

So now, the dogs get along ok, but the only thing I try to watch out for is the jealousy. Ladybug now, allows Stormy to eat, but she still cant tolerate Stormy gettiing treats. They usually play and wrestle together and act like friends. But, Its hard for me to show love to Stormy (which she needs) and at the same time, not let Ladybug think she is taking my love. I try to show them both affection, but Stormy wants in my lap, not interested in playing, and Ladybug is very interested in the ball, but at the same time always wants in my lap as well. Is there anyway I can treat them both fairly, even though they both require totallly different needs? Sorry so long,

Cassidy

I try to show them both affection, but Stormy wants in my lap, not interested in playing, and Ladybug is very interested in the ball, but at the same time always wants in my lap as well. Is there anyway I can treat them both fairly, even though they both require totallly different needs?

The short answer: I strong recommend getting the booklet - Feeling Outnumbered? How to Manage and Enjoy Your Multi-Dog Household by Karen B. London and Patricia B. McConnell. You will find it on Amazon as well as other cites on the Internet. It is short but has lots of very helpful information. That would be good place to start reading on the subject as you begin life with more than one dog.

The longer answer: though Ladybug seems like a person, she is of course a dog. :rolleyes: It is sometimes easy to forget that the same canine companions who sleep in our beds and cuddle with us on the sofa are still animals and can act very differently than we would has humans. I would nip all jealousy and resource guarding (of you, food, toys, furniture, etc.) in the bud before it turns into a problem. Resource guarding can quickly become ugly and dangerous (even deadly especially with the size difference you have with your two dogs). I speak from sad experience on this subject.

I strongly encourage that you make sure Ladybug understands that she does not get to say where Stormy can be (e.g., on your lap) or what she can be doing (e.g., eating treats). Ladybug will be much happier knowing you are in charge so she can relax and not worry about rank or resources. It is up to you to say what activities are on the agenda (throwing the ball for Ladybug, relaxing with Stormy on your lap). Any resource guarding should immediately result in the loss of the resource that is being guarded. As an example, if a one dog is on your lap and the second dog comes over, the first dog starts growling. The first dog is immediately on the floor, losing the resource (your lap and attention) it sought to stake claim to. Same thing if the second dog tries to intimidate or push the first dog off your lap. Immediately it should be sent away to lie down, not gaining the resource it sought to take over.

I'm not one to look at all interactions with our dogs in term of dominance, but I do believe that clear leadership is vital. You will be doing both dogs and yourself a huge favor if you make clear to them right from the start you are Number One and you are not taking applications for a Number Two spot. :D You do not need to be harsh or overly restrictive to achieve this. But you do need to be clear and consistent in your actions. And be sensitive to interactions between the dogs. I try to be very aware of what Quinn is up to. Where the Lhasa is all out in the open and wouldn't know subtle if it fell on him, Quinn can be very quiet and fly under my radar at times when he tries to take control of the other dogs.

So now, the dogs get along ok, but the only thing I try to watch out for is the jealousy. Ladybug now, allows Stormy to eat, but she still cant tolerate Stormy gettiing treats. They usually play and wrestle together and act like friends. But, Its hard for me to show love to Stormy (which she needs) and at the same time, not let Ladybug think she is taking my love. I try to show them both affection, but Stormy wants in my lap, not interested in playing, and Ladybug is very interested in the ball, but at the same time always wants in my lap as well. Is there anyway I can treat them both fairly, even though they both require totallly different needs? Sorry so long,

One thing you could do is work with them together and make a game out of each dog taking his or her turn getting attention from you while the other waits.

I would start out by getting some treats and cueing both dogs to sit. Then I would feed them at the same time, release and end the game.

Once the dogs have the idea, I would have them both sit, hold a stay which I would build up to about 5 seconds and then treat both, release, and end the game.

Once they have that idea, I would have them both sit, tell one to stay (example: "Ladybug, stay"), feed the other, then feed both. Do it again having the other dog stay and once both have a turn, release and end the game.

What I would be looking to condition is the fact that good things happen for the dog when he or she waits for his or her turn.

From there, I would start to work with petting each dog in turn and work up from there.

My guess is that it wouldn't take long before you started to see both of them start to become less concerned with what you are doing with the other.

Just a fun game that can't hurt anything and may very well help.