BC Boards

Why doesn't Cody ever lick me but licks everyone else with exhuberance?

I'm Cody's alpha, for the most part. He's not ever allowed to jump up on me. He does on my DH and my daughter and some others. He will lick many people to death. But he NEVER EVER licks me. He nuzzles me, he pushes his head between my knees, he pushes up against me a lot but no licking.

I just wondered why...I know I smell good/taste good, at least that is what my DH says :rolleyes: !

Quinn is quite sensitive to people's responses. So there are people he jumps on when greeting and those he sits for politely to be petted. People whose faces he scours and those he never thinks to kiss. I don't like being licked myself and he rarely does so, and when it happens it is a small lick on my cheek or a couple on a hand, not all over my mouth, nose and eyes like I see him do to some people (yuck!). Maybe Cody is picking up on a preference that you do not want him that much in your face?

I know how you feel. Hudson will just give me the odd kiss (he likes to sniff my face a lot though), but with my husband he sits at his feet every single night and grooms his feet- he would do it for hours if we let him. He also likes other people's feet/legs etc. I only get that love if i have lotion on and he is trying to lick it off!

I just tell my husband it is because i am cleaner/less smelly than him so that is why Hudson has to focus in on him. :rolleyes:

Hi, thanks for the good comments. I probably do send out signals not to lick my face since I agree that's yucky. I'm always amazed when people allow dogs -- especially not their own-- to do that. I get grossed out, thinking about what the dog may have licked just prior to licking their face!

He definitely loves to sniff around my face, especially around my ears though. Maybe since I wear a hearing aid, he likes that smell!

Occasionally Cody will give my feet a good washing though. I don't mind that as much and it tickles usually! But then I go wash my feet with soap and water.

Occasionally Cody will give my feet a good washing though. I don't mind that as much and it tickles usually!

Scooter gives amazing foot massages! And he always seems to know right where it hurts! :rolleyes:

He definitely loves to sniff around my face, especially around my ears though. Maybe since I wear a hearing aid, he likes that smell!

Occasionally Cody will give my feet a good washing though. I don't mind that as much and it tickles usually! But then I go wash my feet with soap and water.

He probably is offended that you wash your feet after he licks them :rolleyes: He's no dummy!

I'm sure he has identified you as different; both by your aversion to licking and by your hearing aid. But that's not necessarily a bad thing at all. If you're his main person, he is treating you with the appropriate respect.

BTW, Skye met up with a dog she first knew as a puppy in the park the other day. This was a dog that terrorized her and she was terribly afraid whenever she approached. Six years later she remembered her from afar and slunk down in that submissive stance that almost made my heart break. The good news is she came through unscathed and perfectly happy. They do have amazing minds and memories.

Ailsa

Quinn is quite sensitive to people's responses. So there are people he jumps on when greeting and those he sits for politely to be petted. People whose faces he scours and those he never thinks to kiss. I don't like being licked myself and he rarely does so, and when it happens it is a small lick on my cheek or a couple on a hand, not all over my mouth, nose and eyes like I see him do to some people (yuck!). Maybe Cody is picking up on a preference that you do not want him that much in your face?

I don't like being licked incessantly, either. It amazes me to see Auz greet others with big sloppy licks to the face (yuck is right, I *know* what that dog eats when he's outside). I usually greet my dogs by saying "hello, loves" or something in a soft, quiet voice with a pet on the head, and then I'm off. I don't think they take that as an invitation to wash my face, lol.

I know a LOT of people who greet their dogs by stooping down, swinging their arms open, widening their eyes and making their mouths a giant "O" while they screech "HIIII BABIES!!" They get a tongue mauling. Maybe it has something to do with how you greet a dog? Interesting topic!!!