BC Boards

Weight Gain

Circle C

Is there a mineral or chemical imbalance that can cause a BC to not gain weight properly? I know we have discussed how BC's can be a thinner breed, but my 4yo female eats like a pig and just doesnt gain ANY weight. When you run your hand down her back you can fell her back bone, ribs and hips. I think she's too thin. She has been to the vet for general check ups and is on Interceptor.... she seems to be healthy.

How pink should the gums be? Her's almost seem a little light to me, but maybe I'm imagining things.

Have her thyroid checked. I have a dog that ate like a horse and lost weight, had his thyroid checked, turned out to be hyper thyroid, meds sorted it out quickly, and at almost 9yrs is is a healthy 110lbs

Has she always been thin or has she lost weight? Has there been any change in her diet over time? Do you see any issues with her stools (lots, soft, light colored, diarrhea, etc.)? Is her energy ok and has it changed any? Have you discussed her weight with the vet, specifically your concerns about her being too thin and if her gums are the right color? Have any tests been run to look for things like thyroid, organ functioning, etc.? Have her stools been checked for parasites?

There are a lot of medical issues that could be causing low weight. Or she could simply have a very high metabolism or need her diet changed to something that works better for her individual needs. But I would start by discussing your concerns with your vet.

Has she always been thin or has she lost weight? Has there been any change in her diet over time? Do you see any issues with her stools (lots, soft, light colored, diarrhea, etc.)? Is her energy ok and has it changed any? Have you discussed her weight with the vet, specifically your concerns about her being too thin and if her gums are the right color? Have any tests been run to look for things like thyroid, organ functioning, etc.? Have her stools been checked for parasites?

There are a lot of medical issues that could be causing low weight. Or she could simply have a very high metabolism or need her diet changed to something that works better for her individual needs. But I would start by discussing your concerns with your vet.

Her diet hasn't changed. She's always been a thinner dog, but not this thin. She doesn't seem to be loosing weight, she just isn't gaining and I feel for as much as she has been eating she should be gaining. Since I moved, she's not getting near the exercise she used to on the farm. She's great in the house and she still gets some exercise, but I would have thought that she'd have gained since moving here and she hasn't. She hasn't been tested for thyroid or organs or anything like that. Her stool is normal. Her energy is the same as always... nonstop fetch lol. She is parasite free. She was just wormed with panacure from the vet and she is also on interceptor.

It could be she is one of those dogs who will always be thin. Her current level of thinness could be due to losing some muscle if she isn't as active as she has been. Do you have a weight history to see if she is losing and how much? I'd discuss this with the vet, maybe run some basic tests just to see if everything is as it should be. If things come back normal, I would look at a different diet or supplementing what she is currently eating.

It could be she is one of those dogs who will always be thin. Her current level of thinness could be due to losing some muscle if she isn't as active as she has been. Do you have a weight history to see if she is losing and how much? I'd discuss this with the vet, maybe run some basic tests just to see if everything is as it should be. If things come back normal, I would look at a different diet or supplementing what she is currently eating.

I know you guys arent big on kibble, but I have always kept my dogs on Pedigree. Last time she was at the vets office she thought she was under weight. The vet thinks she should weigh more like 35 lbs and she was only 25. I'm not sure what she weighs now as I dont have a scale, but I know she has gained some weight since then. I had to put her on Interceptor b/c she kept getting reinfested with parasites easily and she gets quite sick quite quickly. I was bleaching and everything so I'm not sure how she kept picking them up. That was last spring when she was in a kennel outside. She is now in the house.

One thing I didnt mention is that she always has had bad breath. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. If everything checks out, I wonder if getting her spayed would help? Anything I could supplement to help gain weight other than oils? I don't want to give her diarrhea.

I know you guys arent big on kibble, but I have always kept my dogs on Pedigree.

There are a number of people who don't like kibble, but many of us are fine with it. Two of my dogs are on kibble (a different brand for each). Quinn is on a homemade diet because he just can't seem to handle processed food. Each dog is an individual with his own needs and what works for one may not for another. I would love to have my dogs all on the same food (though not all three on homemade!). It just didn't work out that way. There are lots of great kibbles out there that you may want to consider trying at some point.

One thing I didnt mention is that she always has had bad breath. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

She's young so unless her teeth are bad, the bad breath maybe linked to some problem that also accounts for her being so thin. I don't think the average dog should have bad breath or be gassy. I take that as a sign something needs to be addressed whether it is teeth cleaning (for the breath), a different diet (for bad breath or gas), or discovering an underlying medical issue (for either).

If everything checks out, I wonder if getting her spayed would help?

I'm not a vet but it seems to me that some dogs experience a slow down in their metabolism after being spayed or neutered. Most of the time, we need to make sure to cut back on their food or increase their exercise to avoid gaining weight. But for your dog any extra weight would be welcome. Again, it varies from dog to dog. I had dogs who quickly needed a diet after the operation and another couple who were skinny despite big portions of food for years after.

Anything I could supplement to help gain weight other than oils? I don't want to give her diarrhea.

You might want to do a search on the Internet or these boards to get some ideas. But I really would look at first making sure she didn't have any underlying medical issues. Be sure to mention her breath to your vet. And before supplementing, if she is as thin as you are describing, I would look at changing her to a diet that may better suit her needs.

There are a number of people who don't like kibble, but many of us are fine with it. Two of my dogs are on kibble (a different brand for each). Quinn is on a homemade diet because he just can't seem to handle processed food. Each dog is an individual with his own needs and what works for one may not for another. I would love to have my dogs all on the same food (though not all three on homemade!). It just didn't work out that way. There are lots of great kibbles out there that you may want to consider trying at some point.

She's young so unless her teeth are bad, the bad breath maybe linked to some problem that also accounts for her being so thin. I don't think the average dog should have bad breath or be gassy. I take that as a sign something needs to be addressed whether it is teeth cleaning (for the breath), a different diet (for bad breath or gas), or discovering an underlying medical issue (for either).

I'm not a vet but it seems to me that some dogs experience a slow down in their metabolism after being spayed or neutered. Most of the time, we need to make sure to cut back on their food or increase their exercise to avoid gaining weight. But for your dog any extra weight would be welcome. Again, it varies from dog to dog. I had dogs who quickly needed a diet after the operation and another couple who were skinny despite big portions of food for years after.

You might want to do a search on the Internet or these boards to get some ideas. But I really would look at first making sure she didn't have any underlying medical issues. Be sure to mention her breath to your vet. And before supplementing, if she is as thin as you are describing, I would look at changing her to a diet that may better suit her needs.

Thanks for the help!