BC Boards

What do you do with a Border Collie...

Hi Again!

I've been doing a bit more reading on-line, ordered a couple of books and checked out a few rescue sites. I have set my mind on an older dog, most likely a rescue with an interest and aptitude for herding. In order to fill out applications, I've been gathering my thoughts to determine exactly what I need a Border Collie to do. My concern is will this be enough to keep one happy and sane? This dog will be both a working dog and a companion animal. Trialing may be something I develop an interest in with training and exposure, but right now I really need a 24/7 working farm dog.

As I posted earlier the kids (human) are leaving the nest and often I will need to handle the farm on my own - any situation that arises. With only three sheep and three goats at this time, it's fairly easy, but can be time consuming and strenuous - moving everyone one at a time or bribing with treats, etc. Our critters are semi-lead trained but no one likes to be led off alone or last left to go. So I mainly need a dog for moving sheep from pasture to pasture, shedding (cutting) sheep for shearing, medical treatments etc., monitoring/moving sheep to/from non-fenced grazing areas like lawn around house, orchard, veggie garden paths (if I can keep them out of the produce that is!) and be tough enough to deal with rams during breeding season if necessary. Also to round up ducks and/or chickens when they get into places they shouldn’t be, help move goats ***this is really FUN...not :rolleyes: *** from pasture to pasture, acting as general K9 patrol outside of pastures (LGDs have inside pastures covered) and of course play with non-working house dogs – k9 created games, retrieving, find-it (find hidden toy, person, etc. aka SAR type training games), enjoy beach and pool time with Portie who will be starting water work training in the Spring because the Westie HATES water! Also, travel well and of course, behave in the house – primarily on 6-10 days per month during school year when the BC would be home alone with the house dogs until humans come home. This is my biggest concern - with plenty of work to do at other times are there BCs that would appreciate or at least accept a little down time? Or do they all need to be busy and doing non-stop?

Right now we only have a little over 10 acres so another concern is the dog would be within sight, sound and smell of the stock, day after day, all day. Will this make a BC crazy not being able to constantly work the sheep? Am I expecting too much?

Thanks again!

~ Tru

P.S. our sheep are larger breeds - currently BFL ram lamb he'll grow to between 250 - 300 lbs. and two Corriedale ewes. The girls are now bred and we anticipate lambs in March. We will also add two BFL ewes and two Coopworth ewes in mid 2009 with a Texel ram to round things out in 2010.

My two BCs just chill most of the day. They are always ready to do something, but don't always *need* to do something. My older dog handles the farm chores, but there isn't alot of work in that capacity for her this time of the year. My younger dog does SAR work, but we don't train every day of the week.

In between I keep them happy with ball and frisbee games, runs in the field, and going for rides. I also do occassional clicker training for tricks. When I not around to supervised my younger dog gets kenneled, which is no big deal for him - he just curls up and snoozes 'til I let him loose. My older dog is quite trustworthy so she doesn't need to be kenneled. When I take them for rides they both sleep in the car for pretty much the whole time. They are both high energ dogs but are really mellow half the time.

They both know there are sheep, chickens and cats around, but it's not a big deal to them. It seems to be pretty much out of sight out of mind. You don't want to leave a BC where they can stare at the sheep all day, but besides that it's nothing to worry about.

It sounds like you will be well prepared for a BC :rolleyes:

To me it sounds like you would be a great BC owner. I'm not always out working sheep or doing agility, but I always make sure to have daily ball/frisbee/training sessions. As long as I work on training and play some ball before and after work he's fine while I'm gone. Have fun looking for your new BC and let us know when you get one.

Personally, I think for a herding interested adult BC that wasn't neccessarily bred for herding 100's of sheep at once, you sound like the perfect home for a rescue BC :rolleyes: Keep in mind my brilliant (haha) opinion comes from someone who knows nothing about sheepherding, but it sounds like a great match waiting to happen for a BC in need!

One of the best things any dog (especially high energy!) can learn is how to just chill out and relax. It sounds like there will be plenty for your dog to do with some downtime to just be a dog. Auz goes to work with me every day, but once at home he hangs either inside or in the yard, and is content to just "be a dog".

I vote you'd be a great home for a Border Collie. And if Quinn had a say, he'd vote that you adopt him so he could get to sheep more than every month or two. :rolleyes: While Quinn would love to be a farm dog, he does quite well living in a subdivision and spending his days quietly at work with me or at home for approximately 10 hours when I'm at the "non dog" office. Right now I'm not even doing agility or obedience with him. But he gets lots of companionship and attention and a nice workout fetching balls or Frisbees. If we lived the life you describe, he'd be in heaven.

Right now we only have a little over 10 acres so another concern is the dog would be within sight, sound and smell of the stock, day after day, all day. Will this make a BC crazy not being able to constantly work the sheep? Am I expecting too much?

I'm not a stock person, but one thing I can say about Border Collies -- while they may want to do something as much as possible and they are ready to do whatever you ask at a moment's notice, (work sheep, chase Frisbees, do agility, etc.), they do not need to be constantly busy. IMHO, a good Border Collie as as adept at kicking back as he is at working or playing all day long.

Sounds like a great life for a dog!

A happy dog with a job to do who feels safe in its home does not need or want to be on the go 24/7

Dogs can and will snooze for big chunks of time if they have been mentally and physically tired out