BC Boards

Red Dog and Blue merle

Barb Scott

Not any more than breeding any other solid color to the merle (including a dilute solid).

However, there are obvious issues with selecting from a much smaller gene pool when purposely doing such a cross (as in, waking up one morning and saying, "I think I'll breed my blue merle bitch to a red tri."). The one emphasized most here is, of course, that one is necessarily abandoning the principles that produce the most healthy and talented dogs (breeding for working ability without regard to appearance).

But if the dogs that were the best match for each other and the most suited for the breeder's working needs, happened to be this combination, there's not an inherent problem.

what are the health issues, if any, with breeding a red tri with a blue merle?

Thanks,

Barb S

And

I know someone who bred red merle to blue merle and got heart problems.

Barb, is your original question regarding solid red tri as you wrote, or did you mean to imply red tri merle to blue merle? From the way you worded your second post, I wonder if you were initially asking about red tri merle? Solid color to merle carries no more risks than any other solid to solid breeding. Merle to merle is known to carry a high risk of problems.