BC Boards

Someone please resuscitate me

Whew! I'm glad Sport is ok. I know how scary that can be. I've had way too many heart-stopping scares over the years.

Speedway jumped off my balcony and landed on the pavement. He was trying to reach the dog in the balcony across the way and must have thought there was solid ground between them. I rushed to grab him while he was trying to stop himself from going over, but he had too much momentum. I looked down at the pavement, expecting to see a broken dog and instead saw him get up and trot off. All he had to show for it was a scraped knee and chin.

He gave me another scare when he tried to wolf down a chunk of fudge and got it stuck in his throat and couldn't breathe. I tried several times to dislodge it and each time I moved it off his airway, he would gasp, turn his head and it would slip back across again. I finally had to do the heimlich on him to get it free. Very scary!

Zeb is continuing the trend to my dismay. He found my iron pills and ate a few, prompting a frantic call to animal poison control. Fortunately, he didn't eat enough to cause damage.

The only and last time I tried throwing a frisbee for him in a dimly lit park, he chased the frisbee and moments later, I heard a CLANG! as his collar hit a pole. He hobbled back to me with the frisbee. I felt so bad. Fortunately, he didn't do any permanent damage.

I hope he doesn't add any more scary incidents to the list. Those were bad enough.

Last winter Shadow came tearing up the porch stairs, flew across the porch and slid.. right into the house CRUNCH! I heard this horrible snap, and she let out a loud scream. I thought for sure she'd broken something! By the time I got to her she had stood up and started hobbling over to me. I was terrified! But by the time she got in the house she was fine, her leg made a popping sound and she was fine.

Other than that.. she runs head-long into stuff all the time; doors, walls, stairs, furniture, you get the idea. So far all shes done is snapped the end off one of her canines (which is now dead and needs to come out, anyone know a place to get good replacement teeth?).

RDM, so glad Sport was okay, it seems like he's got some feline in him with all those lives! My resuscitative moment came about 4 months after I got Sophie, making her about 9 mos. My Dad was dogsitting as my mom was in the hospital (we were ruling out a cancer scare) and he lives across the street from a park, make that URBAN park with busy streets on all sides. Dad is not a fan of leashes but was humoring me when he watched Sophie.--even though I reminded him her recall was not 100% However, he must have forgotten that promise because I had just gotten to his house, seen that he and the dogs were walking (he's got two yitchy schnauzers) and of course no leash on Sophie. I parked, got out to catch them as Sophie gets further and further away, crossing the street after the dreaded rabbit. Now it's about 9:30p and even though I'm running after and calling, no luck. Yes, a car progresses, neglects the stop sign and barrels down the street--I could hear the thud from halfway across the park. :rolleyes: Not only did my heart stop I felt like I couldn't move. Sophie ran back but was in shock--had wet herself and couldn't/wouldn't stand. Get to the vet, first words are do you want us to resuscitate her if necessary? How does anyone have the presence of mind to think clearly. Bad prognosis, less than 50% chance of survival, mega $$$ projected with long recovery time but thank dog she came out of it and was home the next day with no discernible injuries! Course Dad's Visa incurred some major injury and he was out visiting her and walking her the next day at the vet hospital by 7a! Needless to say he uses the leash all the time and I've got a dog with a healthy fear of cars/streets and life is good. The dog gods were watching out for us that evening.

Oh my, frightful! Glad Sport is doing okay.

My, "I thought I would die" moment was with Ms. Mirabelle. Back in April, I had taken her out before turning in for the night and her collar was loose from the wrestling match that had occured (between her and Jake - not her and I) before we went out. Something caught her eye, she wriggled out of the collar and off she went. It was 10:30 pm, I went after her on foot, DF went in his truck. Whatever she was after held her attention, because she ignored me completely. I tracked her for 4 blocks and finally spotted her on the train tracks right as the crossing gates went down a block south of where she was standing. I gave her the "come" command and she walked the opposite way, but off the tracks. I heard the train, so I commanded, "stay", she bowed in the play position and jumped up. The train sped by as I screamed. No sign of her when the train was past. I laid down and just lost it. I was certain she had been hit. I was sick. I have no idea how much time passed, when DF pulled up in the truck trying to get me to tell him what "i thought" happened when Belle came running up like she was having a blast at this game we were playing. It still makes me sick to think about it.

One of my heart stopping moments was when Zoe was about 6 months old.

One morning we were out in the back garden and the dogs were running around really fast. At one stage Zoe raced around from the side of the house at maximum speed and ran head first into the metal pole of the washing line. We heard the metal reverberate from the force of the impact. When we spun around to look at her she was sitting there like a cartoon character with her eyes spinning around.

I really thought she was going to be in some real trouble but like all the other border collies after 2 minutes she was was back to her normal self.

My worst moment was one evening when I lived in Bermuda. Every thing was perfectly fine and Sky my BC had taken himself off to bed as normal. I was in the lounge when I heard thrashing from the bedroom, assuming Sky had gotten tangled in his bedclothes I called to him and headed to the bedroom...but as I turned around the door I saw the worst thing I had ever seen. My beautiful BC was on the floor convulsing horribly.

I panicked, ran to him screaming. There was no one within earshot as we were in a rather remote location. It was horrible, there was nothing I could do and he was covered with his own pee. I thought it must have been one of the poisonous toads on the island so I ran in my panic to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of white vinegar from under the sink that was there just in case of such an emergency. Dashing back to Sky I put white vinegar into his mouth and the thrashing stopped. He stiffened, stopped breathing and seemed dead. I was absolutely distraught and crying out his name. I grabbed the phone and called my parents who could hardly make out what I was saying, my mother called the vet, my father raced out the house and into the car to get to me.

Suddenly Sky came back to life. The vet got on the phone to me and I tried to tell him what had happened. Sky staggered to his feet, disorientated. My father arrived and we got Sky to the vet as I didn't even have a car, just a scooter that Sky would ride with me on. The diagnosis, epilepsy.

That was the start of eight nightmarish months before my lad was put down after deteriorating with what turned out to be a brain tumor causing grand mal epileptic seizures. I am pretty sure that was the most terrifying night of my life. :rolleyes: Sky mean't the world to me.

Another one was a small female border collie sitting with my brother and I on a deck in the Solomon Islands. The little girl accidently rolled off the deck under the railing, but luckily I was able to grab her collar in time, for a few seconds she was dangling by the collar over a straight two story drop before I was able to pull her back up onto the deck.