BC Boards

Evaluate Puppy without Livestock

I know this might be dumb question but are there certain behaviors in a puppy that correlates to the amount of instinct or drive it has for herding without being exposed to livestock?

Thanks,

Sheep less in the City :rolleyes:

Actually that is a good question and the answer is yes. Although these behaviors might not always translate when you go to work, traits such as boldness, style, alertness to movement, sounds and surroundings (without being spooky) and problem solving ability (for example when caught behind a gate/fence) can contibute to potential future working ability. With Border Collies there are no sure things, but you can hedge your bets a little!

Vergil

Actually that is a good question and the answer is yes. Although these behaviors might not always translate when you go to work, traits such as boldness, style, alertness to movement, sounds and surroundings (without being spooky) and problem solving ability (for example when caught behind a gate/fence) can contribute to potential future working ability. With Border Collies there are no sure things, but you can hedge your bets a little!

Vergil

Vergil

I have been around stock dogs for quite some time now and I know what you are talking about. I have seen some people say that my dog doing the "tennis ball thing" is NOT proper stock dog etiquette. YET, I make sure he goes around the trees for a proper outrun- lol. I "see" these things in him. AND I have taken him to Don Helsley, who wanted to buy him- no way- he is my service dog FIRST.

I know you have an eye for this and I know some people think that tennis ball herding is simply that. YET, there is a difference. Does your dog do an outrun before you toss the ball? Does he "walk up" ? I think these are questions that Vergil might answer .

Vergil

I have been around stock dogs for quite some time now and I know what you are talking about. I have seen some people say that my dog doing the "tennis ball thing" is NOT proper stock dog etiquette. YET, I make sure he goes around the trees for a proper outrun- lol. I "see" these things in him. AND I have taken him to Don Helsley, who wanted to buy him- no way- he is my service dog FIRST.

I know you have an eye for this and I know some people think that tennis ball herding is simply that. YET, there is a difference. Does your dog do an outrun before you toss the ball? Does he "walk up" ? I think these are questions that Vergil might answer .

All,

Thanks for your replies. I'll know for sure this friday after our lesson at Willowside Ranch. I can't wait!

Thanks,

Jim