BC Boards

PVC Box Running A-Frame

Because Maddie pretty much does a running A-Frame as it is, I've decided to go ahead and put her through a specific training process for a running A-Frame. I'm glad to have a chance to do this with a dog that I'm not worried about "messing up!"

I'm going to go with the PVC Box method, which (if any of you get it) was described in Clean Run back in May (I think).

Have any of you done this? It looks like a lot of fun.

I was at C Spot Win Camp with Rachel (who wrote the article) in July. The running contact is a wonderful goal - so much less stress on shoulders and fast to boot! Good on you for actually trying to TRAIN the behavior. So many folks "have it" but have no criteria - so when the dog blows it, nobody should be surprised AND the dog has no clue what's wrong (but she'll obviously know something is wrong by the handler's reaction!).

My youngster (2 yr old) has a very very solid 2o/2o, but I'd like to switch to running just the A-frame. The nice thing about this method is, it can be done while still trialing with the 2o/2o without messing it up; the end steps go very quickly.

My biggest problem (and the problem that Rachel addressed in the seminar) is marking the instant that all four feet are in the box. AND THEN throwing the treat/toy outside the box to get the dog out - all before the dog looks up at you. I can usually get the "release" food thrown in time, but between watching feet, clicking and throwing food for "all four in" - I'm getting better, but it is HARD!! Rachel said you can/should train your eye to see the 4 feet in. I guess I'm still working on that!

diane

• 2 weeks later...
My biggest problem (and the problem that Rachel addressed in the seminar) is marking the instant that all four feet are in the box. AND THEN throwing the treat/toy outside the box to get the dog out - all before the dog looks up at you. I can usually get the "release" food thrown in time, but between watching feet, clicking and throwing food for "all four in" - I'm getting better, but it is HARD!! Rachel said you can/should train your eye to see the 4 feet in. I guess I'm still working on that!

It will be interesting to see how this goes with Maddie!

I have done a lot of weave training with her where I toss food ahead and she has gotten to the point where she runs ahead looking for the food instead of looking to me for it. If she misses a pole and runs out for the food and it's not there, she looks around a for a bit and then looks at me like, "which way did it go?" and at that point I have her re-do the poles and she usually gets them right that time, so I think she makes the connection between "no reward/criteria not met" and she definitely knows the reward will be thrown out ahead. I'm hoping that transfers to this box!

I've got my PVC and I plan to put it together later this week, so I should be able to start this soon!