BC Boards

Rate your club/org

So how would you rate your club or sheepdog org. ? Good, bad, great? Do they meet your needs as a handler/member? If you were king/queen for the day ;-) what would you change or add to your program. (and maybe you wouldn't change anything, lucky you!)

I'll go first. I belong to the TSDA, Texas sheepdog Ass. and am currently running in the Open Ranch class. I think we have a very good org. we are fortunate to have some really good Open handlers, that are very generous with their time and energy in helping the novice handlers, be that in the way of helping with training, handling, offering to judge Novice runs (yikes a chore in itself LOL) Just all around some really nice folks that are willing to help. I think our trials are run in a very professional manner...I think our judges are usually pretty fair, our sheep are usually top notch, our set out guys are pretty darn good and don't play any games (I've read where that seems to be a problem in some areas?)

If I were to change anything...I guess I would make it easier for folks to get their foot in the door. You really have to want this (and maybe there's something to that too) to get started. I'd like our club to perhaps, have a list of folks that could start you out on the right foot, or at least a page dedicated to the Novice handler. The internet is an amazing thing, full of info. and it would be great if we could utilize it to its full extent. I think I'd like to see some type of judging apprenticeship program started. We always need judges, and its not fair to ask the same folks to judge all the time. I think I'd also try to get our name 'out there' more, in regards to sponsorships for trials and also attracting more folks to come trial in Texas (we've got some pretty darn nice trials! and some scary sheep!) Anyway, guess I wouldn't really change much ;-) just add a couple of things ;-)

So, how would you rate your club?

Betty

We dont have a club/org round here. :rolleyes: I miss it too. When I lived in Utah I was a member of the USA and it was a great org. and very active. Lots of helpful open handlers and lots play dates, training days, and mach trials, as well, as being a sponser for Soldier Hollow, so plenty of opportunity to dive in and give a hand and learn the ropes of what it takes to run a big trial smoothly.

We have a herding group and they are pretty much based in Phoenix. We would like more work days and get togethers in our area. Also, the Aussie affiliate club is in Phoenix. Most of the trials for ASCA, AKC and AHBA are North of Phoenix which makes it even worse. We have a RV and one ton truck so gas is certainly a issue. Still, we go when we can and love the groups as they are all so positive and helpful. We have had some excellent judges and are lucky to get some to come from so far away. We are newbies and haven't actually trialed ourselves but plan to this fall. As Betty as said all the people are friendly and helpful. Narita

We dont have a club/org round here. :rolleyes: I miss it too. When I lived in Utah I was a member of the USA and it was a great org. and very active. Lots of helpful open handlers and lots play dates, training days, and mach trials, as well, as being a sponser for Soldier Hollow, so plenty of opportunity to dive in and give a hand and learn the ropes of what it takes to run a big trial smoothly.

You're kidding? I thought (or it seems like) half the folks on here are from NC ; -) and you all don't have a club? So who puts on/sanctions your trials?

There are generally just two trials a year in NC (NC State Championship, otherwise known as Dr. Ben's, and Rural Hill). This past year a third was added (Dixie Meadows). These trials are simply sanctioned by the USBCHA with no local sanctioning.

There are lots of folks from NC who work dogs and have sheep, but we just trial in other states and belong to other clubs (e.g., I belong to the VBCA in Virginia; others may be members of the GSDA in GA)....

J.

I love my club, the Virginia Border Collie Association (VBCA). I really do. It's been around forever, seen some really tough times, and it withstands all the politics and nonsense that goes with that, and I believe in my heart it will hold up for a while longer. New members can make a difference.

Right now, our club hosts three trials each year, one Summer trial, complete with general membership meeting luncheon (Saturday) on the first weekend in July, and the Winter trial, which has an awards banquet on the Saturday evening the first weekend in December. These trials are hosted by members, so the trial might be anywhere in VA, last year Luray in summer and Strasburg in Winter. Next year, who knows. Our Big Deal is Montpelier, the Fall Fiber Festival and Sheepdog Trials, first weekend in October. SHeep are brought in, the trial is fun and festive, lots of spectators and challenges unique to Montpelier and Fall. We had a monsoon one year. It can be nice or nasty, but 90% of the time that trial is cool in the morning and hot by afternoon with no rain. Go figure.

I wish we did more. If the membership asked for it, we'd find a way. Love to host fun days, have clinics, but we're just kind of working through the years right now, having these trials.

If anyone wants to learn more about trialling, it's a good club. The members are generous and accomodating. BTW, we are negotiating with the folks who put on the Fiber Festival for more support hosting the SDT at Montpelier. Any help would be appreciated in voicing your desire to have this trial keep happening. Also, we need help setting up for this year if anyone (anyone, really...) has time to help put up fence, etc.

NEBCA (North East Border Collie Association) is great! I consider myself very lucky to live in this club's area. There are nice, friendly people, lots of trials, and what I consider to be a very supportive Novice program. The two things that come to mind which in my opinion could use a little tweaking are "small stuff" I don't sweat over, and are really barely worth mentioning. (but hey, no club is perfect, and you did ask...)

1) Sometimes it seems to be treated/run a little bit as if it's the "New England" Border Collie Association rather than the "North East" BCA (probably because most of the officers & committee members are in New England, I believe). But, perhaps that's just my perception. The southernmost state in the described region of the club includes Maryland (skips over DE????).

2) The website is a little dry. The site might benefit from delivering a bit more information about the real-life history and use of stockdogs, and the sport of trialing, to absolute newbies. As it is now, it all seems clear if you already know a bit about it, and of course there are other sites on the internet that contain that info. It could also stand a facelift to make it a little more interesting to view, but all in all, I don't think the site is missing anything and it gets the job done just fine (in a workman-like manner, and such).

Those little things aside...we sure know how to put on a good Finals! :rolleyes:

Hello everyone,

I am a member of two regional organizations, the Northeast Border Collie Association (NEBCA) and the Virginia Border Collie Association (VBCA). I agree with Megan (NEBCA) and Debbie (VBCA) about the advantages of these associations, and I consider myself fortunate to be able to reap the benefits of both organizations.

In years past, there was also the Mid-Atlantic Border Collie Association (MABCA) to serve Border Collie enthusiasts in this area (Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, and West Virginia). Unfortunately, the MABCA no longer exists, but there has been some discussion about reinstating the association. We would appreciate the input of others about how the MABCA could best serve Border Collie owners in this area, as well.

Regards to all,

nancy