BC Boards

hyperflite jawz disc

Guest SweetJordan

Guest SweetJordan
I thought the whole idea was they were made specially for dogs and so were not as hard on their teeth as regular discs.

Yeah that's what I think as well. And they aren't as hard like some of the other discs used for competition only. Just thought I would ask as Riley just had some dental work done and I'm a little bit paranoid. She worn her canines down, but I'm pretty sure it was from chewing on marrow bones. It happened fast enough that at first I thought she broke her teeth and she had no problems prior to that. I of course threw the marrow bones away. We do use Jawz pretty much every day as it's really the only disc we use. Though I learned recently not to ever use a unclean disk as that's like sandpaper to the teeth. The dentist asked me about it and said some people use a softer disc for practice and the harder for competiton though he doesn't do frisbee w/ his dog. I told him she uses a softer disc. After her work was completed he told me she should be okay as long as we aren't throwing concrete blocks or rocks to her, and to keep the any chews as nonabrasive as possible.

I just ordered a Jawz online yesterday. My dog destroys any disc in just one frisbee session! Are the Jawz as durable as advertised?

Also, I think you can use Jawz in competition, at least it says its a competition approved disc. To me though, it would make more sense to use Jawz for practice and softer discs in competition. Competition occur less often, and they are usually more intense than a practice session in that the dog is running, jumping and catching multiple discs in rapid succession.

Guest SweetJordan
I just ordered a Jawz online yesterday. My dog destroys any disc in just one frisbee session! Are the Jawz as durable as advertised?

Also, I think you can use Jawz in competition, at least it says its a competition approved disc. To me though, it would make more sense to use Jawz for practice and softer discs in competition. Competition occur less often, and they are usually more intense than a practice session in that the dog is running, jumping and catching multiple discs in rapid succession.

Yes, they are as durable as advertised. Riley still has her first disc from over a year ago. And as I mentioned we play pretty much everyday. Though she has an entire collection so it's not as though the same disc is always being used. Even if we did multiples everyday that wouldn't be the case. In my experience the glow in the dark one doesn't work too well after a short amount of time. But other than the label coming off and having to smooth out a sport here or there they work really well. I've found that other than the problem with the glow in the dark one they tend to get better with age. In my experience they become more pliable and flexible, as a result Riley's first jawz disc is our favorite to play with.

Can someone post a link for a place to find these discs (or similar ones)? So far I've been unsuccessful in finding them... also, what's the main disc dog association or whatever's website??

I don't know how similar they are, but I really like the KONG frisbees as well... Jade loves her puppy one and it's the only one that's held up. I like how light the plastic ones are, but they sure don't last long...

Guest SweetJordan
Can someone post a link for a place to find these discs (or similar ones)? So far I've been unsuccessful in finding them... also, what's the main disc dog association or whatever's website??

I don't know how similar they are, but I really like the KONG frisbees as well... Jade loves her puppy one and it's the only one that's held up. I like how light the plastic ones are, but they sure don't last long...

http://hyperflite.com/

I've never had to order them online, but that link should help. Someone else might know of a good site to order from.

Some organizations:

The UFO: http://www.ufoworldcup.org/

The Quadruped: http://www.thequadruped.com/

FDDO: http://www.fddo.org/

Skyhoundz: http://www.skyhoundz.com/

You can get the Jawz discs here: http://hyperflite.com/jawzdiscs.html

Or on the skyhoundz site too: http://skyhoundz.com/discs.html

I think they're cheapest here though.... http://www.jefferspet.com

Yes, they are

very
durable. My dog (and the large majority of dogs) is unable to puncture them at all, though the edges get chipped up some. You can sand them down though.

Jawz are hard plastic, not flexible like a Kong disc and are much more durable. My dog went through about 5 Kong discs in just a couple months, playing every day. They are easily punctured and once they puncture they rip quickly. I've found the RuffDawg K9 Flyer is far more durable than the Kong discs, is lighter, and flies better and further. We are able to even play tug with this disc without puncturing or ripping it, and once it gets a puncture wound it takes a very long time for the hole to expand.

I've found the RuffDawg K9 Flyer is far more durable than the Kong discs, is lighter, and flies better and further. We are able to even play tug with this disc without puncturing or ripping it, and once it gets a puncture wound it takes a very long time for the hole to expand.

I have one of those and I HATE it!!! It will not fly straight at all, but rather just awkwardly spins on its side if I try to throw it. And I am pretty good at throwing hard discs.... Maybe its because I have small hands. How do you get it to fly nicely?

I've never heard of any disc wearing down teeth except when they dog has routinely played with a dirty/sandy disc.

Jawz are very durable, but a dog with a very hard bite can still destroy them. It just takes a bit longer. I know a cattledog and malinois that can break the rim in only a few throws, but then they can break the rim of other discs in just one throw.

Jawz are not legal in all competitions. The USDDN events I've been to have not allowed them in the higher classes and even disqualified someone for using them.

Guest SweetJordan
Yes, they are durable. My dog (and the large majority of dogs) is unable to puncture them at all, though the edges get chipped up some. You can sand them down though.

Jawz are hard plastic, not flexible like a Kong disc and are much more durable. My dog went through about 5 Kong discs in just a couple months, playing every day. They are easily punctured and once they puncture they rip quickly. I've found the RuffDawg K9 Flyer is far more durable than the Kong discs, is lighter, and flies better and further. We are able to even play tug with this disc without puncturing or ripping it, and once it gets a puncture wound it takes a very long time for the hole to expand.

Well they are not made of rubber like the kong disc, but I wouldn't say that they are 'hard.' Hard depends on what disc you are comparing it to. Some of the other competition discs, and a lot of the discs that they sell at petstores that aren't really for dogs or that are suppose to be but aren't etc. I can fold the jawz disc into four(at least once it's broken in), to me that's flexible for a disc, and softer compared to other discs on the market. Though hard in comparison to the kong frisbee, but I just don't find that any of those discs fly very well. Esp. if the dog is going to be doing backflips and what have you. Granted I haven't tried the kong disc, but I have tried some that are similar, to me they are heavy and fly like a brick. Hyperflite makes a softer disc that they say is for starting out or dogs with sensitive mouths. But they last one session before it's all beat up. Dirt gets stuck in them, and it would also get stuck to Riley's teeth. But I thought I would ask if anyone had any problems with the jawz because again it depends on what one compares it to, and I am slightly paranoid even though her problem came from marrow bones. And Riley is my first frisbee dog.

It certainly couldn't be worse then a tennis ball. :rolleyes:

I've only been using jawz discs for the last month or so - used floppy discs for the past 2 years.

Hmmm... plastic wearing down teeth - for catching purposes only? Not very likely, esp if you keep it dirt (sandpaper effect) free. And I highly doubt there would be any difference if there was wear between manufacturers of discs made like Jawz - in fact, the whole line of hyperflight discs are much more pliable then say, the Petsmart 99cent frisbee.

I have the Kong disc - I totally hate it. I can't even throw it correctly.

I also have the hyperflight soft disc - I used it to transition from the floppy. It took a beating when I first got it, but the 2nd one was much better - I think River figured out she didn't have to chop the disc so much.

I'd be more worried about the dog biting their tongue or scraping up their gums then teeth wear with discs. (Sand down the edges of your discs for your hand comfort and your dogs gums :D)

Well they are not made of rubber like the kong disc, but I wouldn't say that they are 'hard.' Hard depends on what disc you are comparing it to.

I meant "hard" as in "not floppy"--i.e., not similar to the Kong disc. Yes, as plastic discs go, they are not a "hard" plastic.

I have one of those and I HATE it!!! It will not fly straight at all, but rather just awkwardly spins on its side if I try to throw it. And I am pretty good at throwing hard discs.... Maybe its because I have small hands. How do you get it to fly nicely?

Umm . . . I dunno . . . it did take a little practice as I recall (I seem to remember it flying off to the side a bit), but now I can throw it almost as reliably as a normal disc. I think maybe part of it is to use your fingers underneath to support it rather than just gripping the edge, make sure to throw it level and put lots of spin on it. Another reason I like it--it's the only kind of disc I can do an air bounce with!

Guest SweetJordan
I've never heard of any disc wearing down teeth except when they dog has routinely played with a dirty/sandy disc.

Jawz are very durable, but a dog with a very hard bite can still destroy them. It just takes a bit longer. I know a cattledog and malinois that can break the rim in only a few throws, but then they can break the rim of other discs in just one throw.

Jawz are not legal in all competitions. The USDDN events I've been to have not allowed them in the higher classes and even disqualified someone for using them.

Yeah I've heard that you can't use jawz in all competitions. Rye doesn't compete though as she would freak out with all the other dogs around. But I still taught her multiples and tricks etc. Sometimes we practice like we're getting ready to compete, but on a day to day basis we just take out a disk and have fun. Of course it's always fun either way. This is my second attempt at hoping to be able to compete and failing. Rye is fine in a herding environment, but we live too far away from the farm to get enough consistent practice. Boomer failed agility though he enjoys being a backyard competitor. He would be great at dock diving(as he loves anything having to do w/ the water) if he was toy motivated. I may try rally with him.

It's good to know that Rye is kind on her Jawz. That's crazy that other dogs can break them so easily.

Guest SweetJordan
I also have the hyperflight soft disc - I used it to transition from the floppy. It took a beating when I first got it, but the 2nd one was much better - I think River figured out she didn't have to chop the disc so much.

In the past if Riley had a chose she would pick the jawz disc over the softflite.

Woo hoo! I got my Jawz today and its awesome! :rolleyes: When I first opened it I was surprised by how flexible and soft it was, (I'm used to Petsmarts' hard 99 cent ones) but Panic tugged on it and caught it a lot and there isn't even a scratch on it. Awesome! I'll definitely be ordering a few more.

That's crazy that other dogs can break them so easily.

Yeah. I wouldn't want to buy discs for them. :rolleyes: My disc club routinely takes up a collection of used discs from the members so that the mal's owner can have enough discs to practice with. The cattledog uses a West Paw disc for practice and jawz for competition. She's still only doing toss and fetch occasionally as she hasn't been able to transition to multiple discs yet. The west paws disc is very durable and rubbery but hard to throw.

Jawz are good discs. I used one with Zeb because it seemed easier on his mouth. My new favorite is the Hero Xtra, but it isn't quite as durable. Its softer than a fastback though. Have fun with it. :D