Jump to content
BC Boards

sever constant nasal infections


Recommended Posts

Hi my name is Amanda, and Febuary the 10th I adopted a 3 or 4 yr old border collie. From the second day I had him I noticed that he had horrible green nasty discharge coming out of his nose. He sneezed very hard constantly and blood and pus would go flying. Aslo every time he drank water it would either come out of his nose or the would aspirate on it. His lymph nodes on his neck were huge! I took him to the vet and she did a culture of the discharge, and put him under Anastasia to look up his nose better. She did not have an endoscope by the way...


Well, she sent me home with the proper antibiotics for his nasal bacterial infection and told me that he had loads of nasty green growths up his nose, but she could not biopsy them because of his sever swelling.


He struggled to breath. He snorted like a big and sounded horrible. There were some nights I was expecting to wake up and find him dead.


Two weeks went buy and barley any chance. I went back, she gave me more antibiotics and put him under anistisha again to see if the swelling has went down so she can look up there better. And she still could not biopsy the green growths.


He got even worse...


I took him to another vet and they found that he had a gash waaaay back in the roof of his mouth and his throat. They repaired it through surgery and gave him more antibiotics. He was a new dog!!! 110% better!

Until a week ago. Green discharge, nasty smell, and his lymph nodes are bigger than ever. I called to make an appointment with the vet who did his operation but it will be a week before they can see me.


I can visibly see that his gash that was repaired is still fine, and in great condition.


I am worried about this guy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome! Thank you for adopting a dog that surely needs a loving home.


I would be very concerned about a vet who would not see a dog that has a serious infection right away. I would contact the vet's office and see if I could speak either to the vet or to a manager, to see if he could be worked into the schedule right away (even if you have to wait to fit in between two other appointments). If they can't/won't work him in, I would wonder if you need to find a vet who can.


While the gash seems healed and fine, it sounds like there may still be an infection in the nasal passages or sinuses that needs further treatment.


Very best wishes!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply. Yup, i know he must have a secondary infection. The poor dog has sever scare tissue in his nose, lungs, and throat he will always have problems I am aware, but hopefully infection will not be a problem that we have to keep facing. The vet told me that the surgery to repair his palet and throat would not probably get rid of all of his problems but without that in the way they could better see what is going on with the poor guy.


I wonder if he has some kind of cancer....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually, I would think fungal infection. You should find a vet with an endoscope and have some biopsies and fiungal cultures run. You may also want to consider that there is something stuck in there like the end of a porcupine quill, a grass awn, etc. If those tests don't provide answers you may need to resort to a CT scan.


Were do you live?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

sorry it took me so long! I didnt see the last reply! We have tested for a fungal infection and it turned out to be bacterial. I will ask about getting a biopsy. The vets originally thought that something was stuck up his nose in the first place. And that was why he always had infection, and then they found the deformed palet waay back in the mouth and throat, so they changed their ideas. Thanks for the help!

I live in Russellville Kentucky

I went back to the vet and basicaly he just put him on a diffrent antibiotic and a steriod so the swelling would go down. He thinks that maybe its staying infected because it is so swollen than no air gets up there so it doesnt want to heal.


Ater 2 months of this antibiotic we have to go back in for a check up. We have been on it for a couple of weeks now. He is not as bad, but he is still having some discharge, a fowl smell, and his lymphnodes are still swollen. But it is better than it was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...