BC Boards

ProMeris

bc4ever

Anyone here been using the newly touted flea and tick med called ProMeris? A few months ago when I went to get Scooter's heartworm and flea meds, I was told my vet wasn't carrying Top Spot any more. No choice. I was hesitant, read the pamphlet with all the cautions and warnings, and decided to wait and bought Top Spot somewhere else. After reading comments about it on other sites--horrible smell, reactions in dogs and humans, lethargy, depression, etc. I was glad I didn't buy it. Well, today, when I went in to get the heartworm pill, they asked if I wanted the Top Spot too. Apparently, they don't sell it there any more, along with a lot of other vets in the area, due to a lot of complaints about the reactions I mentioned above. So glad I waited!

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is an older thread but....

I am a dog groomer, and I have heard about 6 of my customers complain about their dog having a reaction to it. Since frontline, and advantage does not work on fleas anymore in my area we have been hesitantly recommending Comfortis. Its a flea pill. I was worried to give it to my boys because its new, and if they have a reaction to it, its not like you can just wash it off. But both of my dogs have done really well, and I have heard nothing about good things about it.

I am so glad you didnt use ProMeris!!

Thanks for the advice. I'm just curious. You said the flea meds you were using weren't working any more in your area. Where are you from? I'm glad I didn't use Promeris too! (I thought more people would have responded to this post....) :rolleyes:

I have also heard about dogs with reactions to ProMeris, some very serious. I'm still using frontline in the rare occasions when we happen to get more than a flea or two coming home with us. I wonder if anyone is using any natural remedies for fleas that have worked for them without reactions.

I have also heard about dogs with reactions to ProMeris, some very serious. I'm still using frontline in the rare occasions when we happen to get more than a flea or two coming home with us. I wonder if anyone is using any natural remedies for fleas that have worked for them without reactions.

We tried a natural remedy (garlic based) that was supposed to be put into the dog's water. Expensive. And Scooter took one sniff and stopped drinking his water! :rolleyes:

I've been trying garlic - the dog that consumes it well is the biggest flea magnet of the three dogs, and one other will not eat his food at all if it is present, and seems to have significantly fewer fleas.

One reason there have not been many replies here is that there was a fairly recent thread on ProMeris - you might try a search and read the many opinions, including those that point out where ProMeris may be indicated (in case of severe flea allergy dermatitis, as ProMeris paralyzes the mouthparts of the flea).

One reason there have not been many replies here is that there was a fairly recent thread on ProMeris - you might try a search and read the many opinions, including those that point out where ProMeris may be indicated (in case of severe flea allergy dermatitis, as ProMeris paralyzes the mouthparts of the flea).

Thanks! I went to that thread and read it. I'm still glad I chose to err on the side of caution at this point. I'm not big into me or Scooter being a guinea pig. :rolleyes: So far, what we're using is working.