BC Boards

one lonely duckling

KrisK

Well, of the 4 eggs that my duck set...only one actually hatched. Please meet my first 'livestock' addition PT Duck - no idea if it's a boy or girl...but I'm keeping it either way. PT (Pat the Duck) will be 3 weeks old on Saturday :rolleyes:

post-3503-1213329132_thumb.jpg

post-3503-1213329265_thumb.jpg

post-3503-1213329353_thumb.jpg

Congratulations! It's amazing how attached you can get to a wee duckling! :rolleyes:

We had a mother mallard hatch eleven babies in the enclosed courtyard of our school. We fed and watered them for three and a half weeks, until we felt it was best to let them meet the world, and we marched them through the halls to the front door. We've had one sighting of them on the pond since then. I must admit, I miss them greatly. Wish I could get a few for my yard.

Mary

Awwww. Mine are, um, I've lost track (ten weeks?) and are starting to grow sex feathers. They aren't babies anymore! I have no idea what are the sex characteristics on that kind of duck. Mallard types, at about six or eight weeks, the peeping starts being replaced with quacking from the females, and "Waugh" noises from the drakes. And now my males are starting to get curly feathers on their tails.

Well PT has thrived and at 4 weeks old should soon be able to forage with the other ducks. Although I still don't know whether its a boy or girl...I'm leaning toward girl - I peeked into the duckhouse yesterday afternoon and found PT happily sitting in a nest with duck eggs and at the same time trying to improve the nest by moving more hay. It was pretty funny to see :rolleyes:

THey grow up so fast!

With the 11 ducklings we had in our school courtyard, it was obvious early on that some were more "advanced" than others. There were a few days when we didn't think a couple of them were bright enough to survive: they couldn't figure out the ramp into the pool, how to get to Mommy around a barrier, etc. But right around 3 weeks, they all seemd to turn a corner and become capable, adolescent ducklings, foraging and demanding that their needs be met. :rolleyes:

I'm sure PT will be fine!

Mary

Kindda OT, but since you're speaking of ducks, here's what's been floating on the pond in front of our home. Took these almost 3 weeks ago, by now they're only 7 (I think?) but still cute as buttons!

2550399638_db95c94c82.jpg

2552124755_784879c2bf.jpg

2553007948_917b8d5dc7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
:rolleyes: PT Duck died today :D I'm not sure why, she went from being healthy and hearty to lethargic and ill in less than 24 hours..... The other ducks seem fine, so I'm at a loss. PT was 7 weeks old yesterday :D

Seven to eight weeks is prime risk for salmonella for ducklings. It hits very fast and is hard to beat. I'm very sorry - I know how tough it is - those babies just eat at your heart!

We had a pile of old barn board in behind the duckhouse. It had been there since we bought this place. I'm planning to build a new duckhouse so I had a backhoe move this stuff out of the way. My neighbour suggested that by disturbing the rotting wood and ground, I likely released all sorts of molds, etc which might have been a problem.

And just in case it was something in the duckhouse, I removed all the bedding, misted with a diluted bleach mix and put down some pine shavings to help dry it up. Tonight I'll put down all new bedding.

I sure miss PT Duck...she was so much fun to watch and she was coming when I called her :rolleyes: I do have another broody duck now, so I hope to get a few more ducklings this year. At least now, I'll be far more vigilant in watching for changes in behaviour.