BC Boards

I've got our walks back!

I finally broke down and got Dublin a gentle leader. I was hesitant to get one at first because it would just be a band-aid for the whole car chasing issue and I was also concerned that he might still run to the end of the lead and lunge with the gentle leader on - and that would be a recipe for disaster.

After our aborted attempt to walk last week and with spring coming and the "out of the way" places I have been taking him (like the little league fields) have become much more active, I decided to break down and try the gentle leader.

It worked beautifully! (Well, for me - Dublin wasn't too thrilled). I never saw a more depressed looking dog when we first started our walk. He got over it for the most part and enjoyed getting to check out some of his old stomping ground. He still wanted to chase cars but as soon as there was the slightest pressure on the lead he stopped. My trainer told me to walk with my hand holding the lead in my pocket - it prevents the knee-jerk reaction of "jerking on the lead" when Dublin looked like he was going to lunge and allows Dublin to correct himself. It worked like a charm.

My calm, sweet, polite leash-walking dog was back!!! Heck - he even did a perfect heel the most of the time (I never asked him to, he just did it). It is still just a band-aid for the over all problem but I am so looking forward to taking long walks again - instead of feeling like I have to skulk in back alleys to avoid cars! :rolleyes:

I don't know, but it seems that just the continued act of NOT being able to lunge at cars will eventually get it in his head that he can't.
I don't know if it will solve the problem but it certainly can't hurt!

Is he still wanting to chase cars? I thought that was a passing thing? I must have missed a post somewhere.
Yes, he still wants to chase cars. He had gotten really bad, but then seemed to be getting better - but that didn't last. He still wants to chase cars. I'm still working on it though...

I took him for another walk today (with the gentle leader) through the city - he did good though he did do a bucking bronco routine with a few cars. Most cars he just perks his ears or turns his head but that is an improvement. I am not postive but I think it is the cars that approach from behind that freak him out the most - those were the only ones he did the "bronco" routine with. Still any progress is good at this point.