BC Boards

Leash Aggression-HELP

I have an 8 month old, and she has a bad case of leash aggression towards other dogs. we take her down to the park evey weekend to play with many dogs, off leash, and shes really good with all the dogs. but if we pass a dog on the sidewalk shes very agressive.

this morning my mother took her for a walk, and she saw a puppy coming her way, and layed down in the hearding possition, (my mom tryed to pull her off to the side) and she sliped out of the halter and lunged at the poor little puppy, and his owner had to kick my dog off.

so why can she behave well off leash but be so agressive on leash, and how can we fix this problem?!

If I were you, I'd order the booklet "Feisty Fido" - it's all about leash aggression and is very well written.

As for things to do right now; focus on keeping the leash loose and your breathing even - I train dogs as a hobby and even I forgot these key things when working w/ my reactive dog. I've fixed my reactions and now she is 10 times better meeting other dogs on lead.

Another thing you can start is desensitization and counter conditioning. Basically every time she sees another dog, stuff her full of treats, no matter what she's doing. Also, see if you can set up something with another dog owner where you can do this with the other dog as far away as necessary so that your girl doesn't react. When she's calm seeing the dog, gradually work up to a closer distance, never getting so close that she reacts. My girl used to react at about 20 feet, some dogs react at 100 feet or more, so just work to find out what your girl's "safe zone" is and go from there.

hth

About the halter, nbever trust on it 100%. When you use one, use always two leashes, one in a collar, and one in the halter. Use the collar to walk with the dog and the halter just to correct.

It's very common for dogs to slip off of the halter and if you use just the halter, you are not teaching, just are preventing the bad behavior to occur because the dog knows well(or knew, in this case)that he can't attack with it, instead that he can't attack because you don't want these behaviour.